ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Where's the 20D talk?

I've been looking around for more 20D threads, are people just not that excited about it?

I am considering selling the 10D and jumping up to the 20D (seeing as how I just found out about it today). I like what I read on paper, but I was expecting to hear more chatter about it here...

Is anyone buying this camera? Or is it just not that exciting? To me it sounds like a pretty sweet deal, Adorama has it at just over 200 dollars more than the 10D right now...

Maybe I missed the boat on this, but it seems like this is the camera lots of canon users were waiting for who couldn't afford a Mark II...
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Hey Sean, hope all's well.

Personally, I think of it as a slight step up from the 10D. I think few really care much, hence the lack of posts. Besides a boost in FPS and buffer, the resolution jump is nothing to write home about. Plus, the processing is still inferior to the Mark II's, especially in sharpening JPGs, and then comes the build quality. So, maybe some will lean towards the 20, others will still want the mark II.

So to make a long story short, I'm guessing many are just as unexcited about it as I am.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

From reading other posts on the 20D, I think many current 10D owners are happy with their cameras and can't see the upgrade. People buying their first DSLR, though, seem to have themselves in a frenzy in getting this camera. In the Nikon film world, there's the expected F6 to be introduced at Photokina, but according to specs I've read, it will be more like an upgrade from the F100 rather than the F5. So, maybe the technology firld has leveled off right now, with improvements not all that ground-breaking.

I picked one up. I was hoping for the 10d, but that wasn't available locally. There really isn't anything about the 20 that would make me want it over the 10, especially since I am more than thrilled with the 10.

If I discover anything superduperamazing I'll let you know. But for the most part, I think it's going to be very similar to using the 10d.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Personally...

I think the 20D is a pretty exciting upgrade from the 10D. I had actually thought about getting a MarkII, but will now most likely wait and get the 20D instead. IMO, MUCH more bang for the buck. It will also make me feel much better having a DSLR backup, as I did with my film cameras...

As for discussing it here, I guess that's just me. I bore very quickly talking about camera gear (especially camera bodies), because not only does it pale in comparison to actual picture taking, but it's been my experience that the folks that love to drone on and on about camera models and features are either beginners or people that have much more money than photographic skill and passion.

Besides, to me, the novelty of high quality, affordable DSLRs wore off a long time ago, and after all, it's only an improvement of the 10D, not a quantum leap beyond it...

I'm really looking forward to the camera, I'm just not shouting it from the rooftops, that's all...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Ya, not really much to say once you read the press release, if I want to argue about camera specs I go to dpreview and save you all the banality. I have a deposit on a 20D body though and am very looking forward to using it along side my (soon to be back-up) 10D. I'll post some pics as soon as I get it, THAT really is the importance part to me anyways, the photos.
    -Alan
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    I first found out about the 20D just a few days ago, and it is appealing to me. I haven't done that much research on the specs yet, but it does seem like a good step up from the 10D.

I will be checking into it more in the future.

Of course I would LOVE to own the Mark II, but $4500.00 is a bit steep for me for a body. I would rather buy another "L" Lens and a 20D combo for $4500.00 - I just LOVE those 'L' Lenses!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy

Liz

Talking I agree Kathy

I would rather buy another "L" Lens and a 20D combo for $4500.00 - I just LOVE those 'L' Lenses!!!!!!!!!!!

Once I got my "L" lens, I was hooked! I too LOVE the "L" lenses! ;)

Liz

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Nice to see you back, Liz...

Liz,

I guess Lara told you I was asking about you when I noticed it had been a while without you posting. Hope you had a nice vacation!
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

The 20D does have alot going for it. As a 10D owner, I am more than satisfied with it. The 20D is appealing but not enough to go and trade my 10D for it. If anything, I would wait and save my $$$ (along with price dropping, hopefully) and go for the 1D Mark II. As of now, I am more interested in upgrading from my Canon G2 to the currently released G6.

Thread Information