ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

where to buy workshop tables?

We've just remodeled our basement. One room will be the computer room / recording studio. We want to outfit it with tables around the perimiter. My husband doesn't want anything "fancy" but he wants it sturdy.

I'm drawing a complete blank on where to look for such furniture. A furniture store is too fancy. A place like Office Max would be too flimsy. And we don't want to pay an arm and a leg for plain, functional tables.

Any ideas?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: where to buy workshop tables?

thats easy...make em!
    3/4" mdf, vinyl top, single brace in the middle (or you can make it fancy using real wood veneer!)
    4 legs 2x2s, or those legs that you can buy that are all finished already.
    4 1/4" skirts, as long as you like.

you have one strong table. Stronger than any you can buy for that price X3.
    it wont look fancy, but when an earthquake comes along, you can count on it.

Been to Ikea? It's the big blue building along I-90 near Woodfield in Schaumburg. It's a little bit of a road trip for you, but probably worth it. Ikea's office stuff costs about as much as the materials would to make it (as in cheap). It looks good, as long as you like simple basic contemporary. It's ready-to-assemble and the website even shows how big the boxes are. Hope you have a truck!

I have a few book cases in my home office, and my wife has one of their desks. I actually got my desk at Office Depot and it's held up great for three years but agree that most of their stuff is pretty flimsy.

However...i find ikea tends to be somewhat flimsy. Girlfriend has a few desks of theirs...But as AV said, they are cheap to buy

Actually I have a trip to IKEA on my to-do list. I want to get a few of those bedroom wall units they have ... I love how they make efficient use of space!

Trouble is I promised a friend I'd go with her, and she's leaving for Vegas this week. My husband is getting antsy to get set up down there.

I told him all he needs is bricks and plywood, but he didn't seem too enthusiastic about that.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Have you checked out Home Depot? They might have something too. They can set you up with bricks and plywood too! ;)

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    We've just remodeled our basement. One room will be the computer room / recording studio. We want to outfit it with tables around the perimiter. My husband doesn't want anything "fancy" but he wants it sturdy.

I'm drawing a complete blank on where to look for such furniture. A furniture store is too fancy. A place like Office Max would be too flimsy. And we don't want to pay an arm and a leg for plain, functional tables.
    You might try a science suppy place. They sell sturdy furniture of all types that are designed for function rather than high style. Start with Sargent-Welsh, Carolina, and Wards,
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

office furniture supply store.... if you have on locally.... used is better yet ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information