ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thinking of selling my rebel

and getting the XT for more high-end stuff since i'm shooting for luxury property magazines a lot lately (going to post some that I shot of a historic gothic revival tomorrow).

It's in perfect condition so i'll probably sell it with my 35-80 lens since i have 2 of those. and the camera is in absolute perfect condition. Any idea what I should sell it for? I have no idea what they go for used!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Re: Thinking of selling my rebel

I usually check KEH and completed items on ebay. You may get a little more if you sell them separately, but it's hard to say. KEH should be a little higher because they will offer a warranty (60 days?).

On the other hand, you may want to consider keeping it as a backup. Murphy's Law...;)

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I know a guy who bought one last fall for $350 without the $99 lens ;) It was in great condition also and the owner got a 20D instead. At that price .... SOLD!!!!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

When you decide on a price please let me know. I've been kinda half planning to pick one up as they are dumped by people buying the XTs. I don't know what the prices are going to end up being. If they are within a couple hundred of the cost of an XT I'd just go with the new XT I guess.
    ----------------------------

You are talking about a Digital Rebel, aren't you?
    ----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    I know a guy who bought one last fall for $350 without the $99 lens ;) It was in great condition also and the owner got a 20D instead. At that price .... SOLD!!!!!!
    Yah see, that's the thing. I paid $999 for mine, and it's tough to lose so much of the investment. I'd love an XT too. I'd love to keep my D300 as a backup, and my Ti as a backup-backup. But to reinvest without some "trade-in" value ... ouch! (right now at least.)

To make the investment worthwhile, I'll need to get off my buttockians and start selling some work!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I HERE THAT!!!! The main reason I still own a F100 is the resale value of my nikon gear and the replacement cost to get the same lenses in EOS mount. Honestly though..... FILM dies for most digital converts I know... including me to a large degree
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Janie,

Right here is a list of used digital rebels from ebay. Looks like they range anywhere from 400-700 american. Check it out, it might help.

Deja vu.

Unfortunately, we have no other family members we plan on purchasing a camera for. Sorry.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    You are talking about a Digital Rebel, aren't you?
    YES! lol I have the Digital Rebel - most of the shots i've posted in here are from that! Basically, the company i'm shooting for is going to start printing in larger sized magazines so they want photos in an even higher res than i'm doing now. The 8 mp will be fine for them to use, so that's why i'm looking at the XT.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    YES! lol I have the Digital Rebel - most of the shots i've posted in here are from that! Basically, the company i'm shooting for is going to start printing in larger sized magazines so they want photos in an even higher res than i'm doing now. The 8 mp will be fine for them to use, so that's why i'm looking at the XT.
    Ahhh it must be nice to shoot for a company? Enjoying it? If you do decided to possibly sell it, I'd like to throw my name before Chunk. I wouldn't mind possibly picking something like this up before college.

We'll keep in touch,

Jared

I had heard that 8 mp is pretty much overkill for publication. Huh, guess technology has advanced without telling me.

Janie you can always use a program like Lizard Genuine Fractals to upsize the image to the size they want. It works much better than doing it in Photoshop, although it is a Photoshop Plugin and a standalone program as well.

Look here http://www.lizardtech.com for more information about it. Current version is Genuine Fractals 4 is $159 delievered in Continental USA if you want the CD as well it is $167.95. They also have Genuine Fractals PrintPro 4 which is $307.95 CD.

Well worth looking at you can download a trial version of the current software as well, to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I had heard that 8 mp is pretty much overkill for publication. Huh, guess technology has advanced without telling me.
    What about 2 page spreads? those probably require something like 16mp

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EXT/EXTPICS.HTM

Gah
    TLDR

Not necessarily. I've done really nice 16x24's from my 6mp Fuji S2 but at 24x36 the detail starts to drop a little (however, that's looking at the print from a few inches away - in real life at 3-4' away it looks great). I've seen great 20x30's from Nikon's 4mp D2H.

It's a matter of getting all the technical stuff right at capture, and during post processing. Just like film, the larger the print, the larger the problems are magnified (sharpness, etc).

I'm just saying that the editors might want 300dpi no matter what. I mean...they do take in slides more readily than they take print film. So 10x16 would require about 14.4 MP. I'm not an editor so I wouldnt know if maybe they will take the lower stuff, so I'm just speculating here.

I'm just saying that the editors might want 300dpi no matter what.
    Pixels aren't necessarily pixels - IOW more isn't necessarily any better. I have interpolated my 16x24's in Photoshop to 240dpi - this is more than 22mp, and the prints look great. I have a 5mp compact camera that's not going to handle anywhere near the Photoshop work and/or print size of my 6mp DSLR. I've heard (never used either so no personal experience) that Nikon's 4mp D2H is sharper than their older 5.5mp D1X too.

Resolution needed does depend on the subject though. I was at a school a year ago, and they took a class picture which was almost 900 people. It was taken with the Kodak 14mp camera and probably a top-end Nikon (another sponsor) tele from across a football stadium. Then they made a 24x36 print and everyone wanted to find themselves in the shot. Even with that resolution, faces started to look a little pixelated. I wonder what a 6mp DSLR would have done.

yeah thats what i mean
    serious photo mags may want the most resolution out their samples
    I do not doubt that your 16x24s look great. However, print film can look great too, but publishers will accept slide more readily than print. No doubt a higher resolution can be adjusted down but not really the other way around. More pixels would probably win out, unless of course, the photographer's capability exceeds that of the requirement for micro-quality

Thread Information