ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Square landscapes

Anyone have any good square landscape shots?
    Curious how the framing works out.

Re: Square landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    After doing a square format painting of a campus scene ( http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL22/5...2/22311004.jpg ) I took more shots on campus with a square format being the intent. I found it interesting to think about framing a subject that way. usually I don't worry about matching a particular aspect ratio, just letting the subject determine the composition.

Here are a few. I know they are not the strongest, but I found the exercise worthwhile as it gave me another way of looking at things. Cut out a peice of tagboard with a square 'viewfinder and you can practice your composition a lot for free. Don't forget that squares can be used at 45 degrees rotation too.

In general I think the same 'rules' of composition apply but it just feels a little funny using a different frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    ----------------------------

so all in all did you like it?
    do you have a square format camera (6x6) yourself? or you just crop those to become square?

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    I just love doing square landscapes - but I don't often have the time nowadays. This is not something to be rushed. I identify a suitable site then go back with the 6x6 when the light is right, set the camera up on the tripod then look at the image through the magnifier and directly on that big bright focussing screen to get an idea of the masses and forms. I like to take that deliciously symettrical square frame and play with it, make it asymettrical, have things on the edges, etc. All this knowing that the image is going to be percetly sharp and that the colours are going to be nice.

I try to have the camera at a certain height, looking slightly down, to avoid having an empty foreground and sky (in the images I'm showing there is no sky). If I'm doing pictures of buildings then I ensure that the converging verticals look right.

Charles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Square landscapes-1330-02_redimensionner.jpg   Square landscapes-1330-16_redimensionner.jpg   Square landscapes-1437-02_redimensionner.jpg   Square landscapes-1438-13_redimensionner.jpg  

I don't have a square format camera. I've never thought that the shape of the viewfinder or image captured has that much to do with how the scene should be presented. You just need to be sure that the elements you want included in the image are captured at the highest resolution possible and then crop the image to whatever shape is needed.
    Yes, I think it was worthwhile and find myself considering square compositions more often now. It's fun to put artificial constraints on yourself and see if you can still take shots you like. Here's one I took last Saturday.
    Still Air

Charles, these are terrific. While the colors and composition of the scenes is all top notch, your capture of the spirit of the water is exceptional. I really like the colors in the water of the first shot.

One thing that I think the square format allows more easily is combining horizontal and vertical elements in the same frame, giving more or less equal strength to both. While I can see some rectangular compositions in these shots with the trees, I don't think any of them could be nearly effective as the square compositions you've chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    I just love doing square landscapes - but I don't often have the time nowadays. Charles
    You need to make the time, these images are beautiful. Thanks for sharing these Charles.

Larry
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I agree with OT here! Charles, those pics are truly amazing, you've done some great work with that extended shutter! Nice shots!

Thanks Franglais
    That was exactly what I was looking for

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Charles these are some of the best square format landscapes I've seen! Thanks for posting them.

And good to see you posting images again too!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Charles, that second image is just dreamy ... it reminds me of Middle Earth, or some other fantasy land of dragons and trolls. Where is this? Is it in France? It's just gorgeous!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information