ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soup

Soup

Warning - may not be suitable for vegans or the squeamish:

My friend Chris is the chef at a restaurant in San Francisco called, InCanto. He is a big proponent of and well-known for using the whole animal. It's always an adventure going to eat at his restaurant. I've eaten a pig's snout, sheep's tripe, octopus in ink, tuna roe, and I can't remember what else. I can't say I liked it all. But I'll try almost anything he gives me.

This soup is foul - I mean made of bird. In fact it's full of bird parts. Note the cock's comb - you know - the comb from a rooster's head. I passed on that. But I did eat a goose nut. That's right - goosey gonad. It was actually pretty good. The one that I ate is actually in this photo - over to the left side of the bowl. Delicious! The big ball shaped things aren't actually bird balls. They're pre eggs, I guess. They're eggs from inside the chicken, before a shell was formed. They cook them in the soup so they're like hard-boiled eggs except they have a lot more yolk than usual. They're tasty.

I also ate beef tendon with beans that night. It surprised me. It was delicate and much nicer than I expected. For my main course I had braised pig's belly. It's one of my very favorite things. It's basically uncured bacon. It's slow-cooked, pretty fatty, and wonderful. Anyone who knows me understands my love for bacon - cured or uncured

If you're curious about Chris or using the whole animal, visit his Web site, www.offalgood.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soup-p1000630.jpg   Soup-p1000628.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Soup

Dude, John, you have a tougher stomach than me my friend!

Hope it all stays down
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Well, well, you are into some interesting things now days. Yikes! So, how have you been? I have been lurking around here for a week or two researching cameras. It's time for a DSLR. It is good to see some of the same names around and I see just how much I have missed out on by being so DANGED busy for the last three years.

Howdy to all! PJ, you have an e-mail from me and I DO expect answers to my questions. ;)

Hugs from Colorado!
    www.TreatsForTroops.com

how's the price?
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Deborah! It's nice to see you!

I enjoy your yearly check-ins!

How's the business?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Deborah! It's nice to see you!

I enjoy your yearly check-ins!

How's the business?

Good morning. Business is good. We just finished our 4th holiday season. It takes me about a month to get over Nov/Dec, then it is time to start planning for the next one.

You doing well? Is Sandi still around? Oh her name has slipped my mind at the moment... NY, B&W, Holga...you know, is she still around? I saw a post from Mike F.

I'll probably be around a bit over the next few weeks/months as I learn about that new camera I plan to get.
    www.TreatsForTroops.com

That is probably the most interesting dish I every encountered. I'm pretty adventuresome when it come to food, but can't say that goose nuts and cock's comb are something I'm be adding to my menu anytime soon.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

An adventure for sure! The idea of using the entire animal has been around for a long time, but I haven't heard of using the whole thing in one dish. I'd try it! If you make it out here in the fall I'll have to take you to the Turkey Testical Festival...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Just say NO!

John, it's times like this I am so thankful for my Italian-American heritage. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go to a dark, quiet room, try to get these DEEPLY DISTURBING images out of my mind, and simply think LASAGNA...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Err, I think I'll just stick with hamburgers and hot dogs, thank you! Photo-John you can go on 'Fear Factor' anyday! Another view - Turkey Testicle festival?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    ...I'll have to take you to the Turkey Testical Festival...
    Wow, that's a mouthfull! bwahahahaha!!!

No seriously, that's just nuts.

Okay, I'll stop.

drg

You just gotta' love pork bellies!

Interesting presentation as well. What's the proper beverage selection for this type of feast?

Have you ever had burgoo? Imagine large kettles, whole chickens hogs sides of beef vegies in 25lb+ bags, all dumped in and stewed for 'awhile'. When the bones float, its done.

Cock's comb, don't think I've ever tried that one. . .
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Wow! that amazing what an experience that would be, i think its a great idea, if your gonna eat meat/animals why not use the lot instead of wasting so much! i dont know if i could be that brave but my husband is already planning plane tickets!!!!!Lol.
    "Live Life to the full, theres no rehersals"
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    What's the proper beverage selection for this type of feast?...
    I dunno, but if it were me, it'd have to have a hell of a lot of alcohol in it...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Road kill burgoo is a Kentucky tradition. But I have yet to find any cocks comb in any burgoo I ever saw. Wonder how you could prepare it so it kept it's color. That would sure enhance the visual presentation if it stayed red.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yuck
    how's the price?
    It ain't cheap. But I recommend it. They have some regular stuff on the menu, too. They have a pork ragu with big, homemade, handkerchief pasta noodles. Anyone but a vegetarian will love it. They also cure their own meats and have a wonderful anti pasto plate.
    Photo-John

Burgoo

You just gotta' love pork bellies!

Interesting presentation as well. What's the proper beverage selection for this type of feast?

Have you ever had burgoo? Imagine large kettles, whole chickens hogs sides of beef vegies in 25lb+ bags, all dumped in and stewed for 'awhile'. When the bones float, its done.

Cock's comb, don't think I've ever tried that one. . .
    I haven't had burgoo, but it doesn't sound bad. Anything that's stewed can't be all that bad. It's when you're faced with a chunk of something strange that it gets weird

I don't drink, but InCanto has a huge wine list. I expect that you'd want a white wine with goose balls :-)
    Photo-John

Yeah, the Turkey Testical Festival is real. I've been to it a few times but have not yet tried the star attraction, mainly because the line is very long (really). It's a few bucks to get in, and you get a ticket for a few of them for free. After some liquid courage I'm sure they taste pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bevb
    Wow! that amazing what an experience that would be, i think its a great idea, if your gonna eat meat/animals why not use the lot instead of wasting so much! i dont know if i could be that brave but my husband is already planning plane tickets!!!!!Lol.
    I believe everyone who eats meat should have at least one kill and slaughter experience. We shouldn't take killing other creatures for granted. I have no problem with eating meat. But I do like to remember and respect where it comes from and not be wasteful about it.

Let me know if you do want to come eat. I'm in - especially if they're serving pork belly! That's only a winter dish, though
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Warning - may not be suitable for vegans or the squeamish:

My friend Chris is the chef at a restaurant in San Francisco called, InCanto. He is a big proponent of and well-known for using the whole animal. It's always an adventure going to eat at his restaurant. I've eaten a pig's snout, sheep's tripe, octopus in ink, tuna roe, and I can't remember what else. I can't say I liked it all. But I'll try almost anything he gives me.

This soup is foul - I mean made of bird. In fact it's full of bird parts. Note the cock's comb - you know - the comb from a rooster's head. I passed on that. But I did eat a goose nut. That's right - goosey gonad. It was actually pretty good. The one that I ate is actually in this photo - over to the left side of the bowl. Delicious! The big ball shaped things aren't actually bird balls. They're pre eggs, I guess. They're eggs from inside the chicken, before a shell was formed. They cook them in the soup so they're like hard-boiled eggs except they have a lot more yolk than usual. They're tasty.

I also ate beef tendon with beans that night. It surprised me. It was delicate and much nicer than I expected. For my main course I had braised pig's belly. It's one of my very favorite things. It's basically uncured bacon. It's slow-cooked, pretty fatty, and wonderful. Anyone who knows me understands my love for bacon - cured or uncured

If you're curious about Chris or using the whole animal, visit his Web site, www.offalgood.com
    And you wouldn't taste the tongue when we met last year!?

I am shocked! :P
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Looks delicious to me. I'd WAY rather eat something that is identifiable than beef-flavored extruded and emulsified chicken product (chicken macnuggets).

eating well is the first step to living well - you have to do it at least once a day, so why not dive in head-long?
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    And you wouldn't taste the tongue when we met last year!?

I am shocked! :P
    You got me there

Something about food with taste buds attached...
    Photo-John

What's the proper beverage selection for this type of feast?

Tequila from the bottle.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    Looks delicious to me. I'd WAY rather eat something that is identifiable than beef-flavored extruded and emulsified chicken product (chicken macnuggets).

eating well is the first step to living well - you have to do it at least once a day, so why not dive in head-long?

I'm curious as to the nutrition content of goose nuts.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

drg

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Tequila from the bottle.
    Si', Anejo!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information