ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar

Questions w/showing in Galleries!

Hi everyone!

Well, I am very happy, but also a little nervous.

I was just asked to show some of my framed prints at a new local gallery that will be opening July 1st. So far, I've taken only 4 prints, but I have 3 more at the framers, getting framed, and I am fixing to send about 6 more images to the lab.

Anyway, the gallery owner had a contract, which I've already read and signed.

The commission fee is only 30%, which I feel is very reasonable, and will go up to 35% in a couple of months. The Owner/contract requires the following:

1. A six month contract - I cannot pull out my photos.
    2. I must attend all artists receptions (I'm a hermit, and do not like the lime-light).
    3. Any sales that I make at an event, even if they are through me (and not through the gallery), must be reported, and I must still pay her a commission, since the customer met me at the gallery.- its on an honor system. I can pass out business cards at an event.
    4. My business cards, or any other type of cards/info about me cannot be attached to the back of my prints. She will have a framed information card w/photo of me at my section, and on the website.

There's much more, but I cannot think of everything right now.....braindead....

I am very thrilled about this, they will be advertising my name and they are planning some good events, and teaming up with musicians, wineries... They are a smaller gallery, but are located on a major road, and the 'art world' is steadily growing in my town.

I think/ I'm hoping that this should be a good boost for me....
    Anyway, does this sound ok? Does anyone else here have any experience w/galleries? Is there anything that I should be aware of ????

Thanks!
    Kathy

Re: Questions w/showing in Galleries!

Kathy, you have to start somewhere and often I think getting your name out there with your photos, feelings demonstarted in them etc, is the most important. You are investing in your future, so look at that as an investment and remember all costs you incur even the commission are deductable against the income you earn as well, therefore decreasing your taxable income. Make sure you keep good records, of contact with the gallery, trips you make to the gallery etc, all costs of framing, camera useage that relates to the work, that way you are able to work out the percentage of expenses that relate to work and relate to private. Unless you use your equipment for the majority of the time for work, then you can claim a deduction of depreciation at what ever the rate in the USA is and claim the appropriate amount. If this takes off, you need to have your financial side of things working correctly otherwise you might miss out on legitimate deductions and you won't have any problems at Tax Time or if you ever get Audited.

Good luck hope it works out.

I think the commission side of it going up, (I take it is 30% to her then 35% in a couple of months), is the normal, but I think that is heavily in her favour as well, but then they are putting in the $$$'s to display your work and promote you as well. So again a cost of getting out there.

Thread Information