ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Problem: faster shutter speed = dark image

I have a Fujifilm S7000 camera I just bought and when i was testing the camera's shutter speed I noticed that everytime when I increased the shutter speed to say from 1/125 to 1/500 the image would be darker and when it's set at 1/1000 the image gets very black and only the borders of the image show. How can I prevent this from happening?

That's what the shutter does.

Try opening the aperture every time you speed up the shutter, or raise the ISO sensitivity.

Every time you speed it up, it is open for half as long, and therefore exposes the sensor for much less time letting it build up less light.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

More light

Quote Originally Posted by DaShogun
    I have a Fujifilm S7000 camera I just bought and when i was testing the camera's shutter speed I noticed that everytime when I increased the shutter speed to say from 1/125 to 1/500 the image would be darker and when it's set at 1/1000 the image gets very black and only the borders of the image show. How can I prevent this from happening?
    You camera has a maximum aperature, and once it's open all the way, it's letting in as much light as possible. If you set your shutter to a higher speed, you're letting less light in (shorter time the shutter is open, less light hits the sensor). That is why your shots get darker with faster shutter speeds. You either need to add more light (shoot in brigher conditions or use a flash) or live with the slower speeds in order to properly expose your pictures. You usually don't need to shoot at 1/1000, btw.

Spike

whats happening is that your in low light.at a real fast shutter speed,you have to have a lot of light,or that will happen.on a 35mm camera,when you change shutter speeds to a fast speed,you normall have to open a few f stops .using a flash,only up to its sync is your option.
    freelance2004
    mmr1031@aol.com
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

Thread Information