Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Sony DSC shutter problem

Hi:

I have a Sony DSC-P51. This camera has been working perfectly for us for nearly two years, however, the shutter suddenly stoped functioning. Everything else looks fine except that the shutter button is not responding to press.

It happend once a few weeks ago, and back to normal after I put it aside for a few days. This time the magic doesn't work.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated: Is it a hardware failure? How could I test that for sure? Thanks.

-Shawn

Sony DSC Shutter problem

Hi Shawn -

I'm having the same problem with my DSC-P9. Did you manage to solve the problem? Was it a hardware issue?

Thanks,

Piyush

Quote Originally Posted by shawn_74
    Hi:

I have a Sony DSC-P51. This camera has been working perfectly for us for nearly two years, however, the shutter suddenly stoped functioning. Everything else looks fine except that the shutter button is not responding to press.

It happend once a few weeks ago, and back to normal after I put it aside for a few days. This time the magic doesn't work.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated: Is it a hardware failure? How could I test that for sure? Thanks.

-Shawn

my p-51 just started to have the exact same problem. I've had the camera since June of 2002. Any word on what the problem is/how much it is to fix?

Thanks!
    gdopiv
    gdopiv@yahoo.com

I lucked out - I had purchased the extended warranty from Circuit City so repairs and shipping is not going to cost - but i'll ask them what the problem was and what it would have cost if I didn't have the warranty - they just sent me the box to ship it in - should know in a couple of weeks....

hey guys, i hadn't bought the extended warrenty, so I decided to rip the camera apart. anyway it comes apart fairly easily, just unscrew everything, the back and front detach easily as well...although I couldn't get to the shutter button...i didn't want to rip out all of the insides cause I figured it wouldn't work at all then. So i used some compressed air and shot it towards the shutter button and it works now...I figure it was a bad connection with dust or something. I don't know how long this will work or hold up, but if you don't have the warrenty it's worth a shot.

Thread Information