ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Re: Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!

1401....?

Nothing special, just one I like.... it was one of those few days I got up earlier than noon
    Attached Images Attached Images  

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

NICE image! .......

canada geese ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

This one is from July 31, I was looking through some past shots since the weather has been a bit wet to get out.
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-whatbird.jpg  

fledgling sparrows are VERY hard! , but I think this is a song sparrow from the chest markings.

Wet you say..... I drove through 3 feet of water to get home last night..... the river crested 6 hours later I bet ;) I have 32 inch tires and my ranger sits VERY high for a stock truck(it came with 31.7 inch tires or 265/70/15). After hitting that "puddle" at 35 MPH(a good 300 feet of driving) , I had another 20-24 inch puddle with a acord , a elantra and a eclipse spider DEAD in the water in front of my road. I zig zagged through and called it a night ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Guess who is building a nest!!

Well .....

It isn't truely building a nest by that plumage ;)

Adult non breeding plumage Cattle Egret .

Nice image
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Hello there,
    First post to this site. Lots of great shots.
    Here is a couple of shots during whale watching cruise on Bay of Fundy this summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-bay_of_fundy1.jpg   Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-bay_of_fundy2.jpg  

Welcome to the site!

I do believe those images are of a greater shearwater ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Tell me what this one is? It has just showed up in my backyard in Texas (close ot Waco), and spent a couple of days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-newbird2.jpg  
    Aaron

It looks like a long billed thrasher to me at first glance! They live year round ONLY(in the US) in the rio grande valley.

It very well may be a dark Brown Thrasher with orange eyes though.Brown thrashers have yellow eyes usually ;)

I must go with ODD looking brown thrasher though, because too many thing point to that over LB Thrasher.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    It looks like a long billed thrasher to me at first glance! They live year round ONLY(in the US) in the rio grande valley.

It very well may be a dark Brown Thrasher with orange eyes though.Brown thrashers have yellow eyes usually ;)

I must go with ODD looking brown thrasher though, because too many thing point to that over LB Thrasher.
    Thanks Paul - I had no idea - it would be a bit far north for it to have come from the Rio Grande Valley - it would be about4 450 miles out of its usual territory - however with all our storms lately maybe the poor thing was looking for a little peace and quiet!
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron
    Thanks Paul - I had no idea - it would be a bit far north for it to have come from the Rio Grande Valley - it would be about4 450 miles out of its usual territory - however with all our storms lately maybe the poor thing was looking for a little peace and quiet!
    Aaron,

This bird , though it looks like the rare mexican Long billed thrasher, is indeed just a nontypical Brown thrasher which should be migrating into your area(you are at the northern wintering range in texas)

To show you how close these two species look..

Long-billed Thrasher
    http://www.birdsasart.com/long-billed%20thrasher.jpg

Brown Thrasher
    http://www.kidwings.com/localbirds/brownthrasher/1.JPG

http://www.kegressy.com/Songbirds_Br...er__Guelph.jpg
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Aaron,

This bird , though it looks like the rare mexican Long billed thrasher, is indeed just a nontypical Brown thrasher which should be migrating into your area(you are at the northern wintering range in texas)

To show you how close these two species look..

Long-billed Thrasher
    http://www.birdsasart.com/long-billed%20thrasher.jpg

Brown Thrasher
    http://www.kidwings.com/localbirds/brownthrasher/1.JPG

http://www.kegressy.com/Songbirds_Br...er__Guelph.jpg

Wow, talking about birds of a feather - it is still hard to tell the difference even when they are side by side. Thanks again Paul it has been an interesting learning experience, another forum I'm on on Birding definitely agrees with your first choice of it being a Brown Thresher -- I'm having a lot of fun photographing and learning the various birds of my back yard -- I guess one just has to get older to slow down and look at what is around them!
    Aaron

No need for one to get older, just open your eyes and low and behold......

I became active in birding after breaking my ankle one winter, throwing out my back the following spring and that summer lost my job! Plenty of time to watch nature and take images while Bush paid me 23k a year to stay home(and work here and there for cash). Yes I got unemployment for over a year while honing my birding skills 70 hours a week I was nursing 4 slipped disks and a very painful ankle breakage, so TREEWORK (all I really knew) was out of the question.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

No need for one to get older, just open your eyes and low and behold......

I became active in birding after breaking my ankle one winter, throwing out my back the following spring and that summer lost my job! Plenty of time to watch nature and take images while Bush paid me 23k a year to stay home(and work here and there for cash). Yes I got unemployment for over a year while honing my birding skills 70 hours a week I was nursing 4 slipped disks and a very painful ankle breakage, so TREEWORK (all I really knew) was out of the question.
    Oh I agree completely - the beauty of nature is all around us constantl - for me though, until I retired from Fire/EMS/Police it seemed like I was in a constant rush from one thing to another - occasionaly slowing down for a vacation, but then in a hurry to see as much as I could before it was back to the routine. I envy and admire those that, like yourself, have found the enjoyment earlier, but for me it's still fun to learn even when you're older than dirt!
    Aaron

Wet you say..... I drove through 3 feet of water to get home last night..... the river crested 6 hours later I bet ;) I have 32 inch tires and my ranger sits VERY high for a stock truck(it came with 31.7 inch tires or 265/70/15). After hitting that "puddle" at 35 MPH(a good 300 feet of driving) , I had another 20-24 inch puddle with a acord , a elantra and a eclipse spider DEAD in the water in front of my road. I zig zagged through and called it a night ;)
    Glad you made it home OK. It was nice along Fontana Lake in North Carolina where I took this shot. Have you had any of these in your bird thread yet? Sorry for the lack of detail, but it was handheld at 12x zoom from far away. Thank goodness for image stabalization.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-02.jpg   Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-03.jpg  
    ----------------------------

You go Chunk!

That is actually pretty close for a belted kingfisher. I have spent hours trying to photograph them with mediocre results. Besides finding a nest hole in the bank and waiting(in breeding season), they are very hard to get close to.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

You go Chunk!

That is actually pretty close for a belted kingfisher. I have spent hours trying to photograph them with mediocre results. Besides finding a nest hole in the bank and waiting(in breeding season), they are very hard to get close to.

Hey, thanks to this thread, I knew that was a kingfisher!!!! Ok, I didn't know it was a BELTED kingfisher, but I did learn something!!!

Paul, have you ever heard of Stan Tekiela? I heard him on the radio talking about birds the other day. Looks like he has authored lots of birding field guides, as well as guides for mamals, amphibians and plants. He's also a wildlife photographer.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Nothing new to post lately...

Been out a few times with no bird results. Saw two sandhill cranes off I4, but didn't have my camera.

???

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Where and when..... can you crop tighter too. I have a feeling it's one of 2 birds, but the white rump is killing me and the detail in the bill is hard to see.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

No, I have never heard of him honestly, but It seems he wrote a book on NJ birds that I have never seen ANYWHERE.

Here is a quote from the site selling his NJ book.....

122 species
    (only New Jersey birds!)

QUITE FUNNY, as I have seen 275+ species in NJ alone ;)

The world series of birding (24 hour birding contest on may 15th every year) has teams finding 220 species state wide in one day and teams getting 170 in a county alone!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Re: Nothing new to post lately...

Between work and rain I haven't been out in over 2 weeks myself! MAYBE thursday(my next day off) will be productive?

I did see a young goshawk(very rare find) today while driving to work though
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Pentax Forum Moderator

Went for a walk today and saw these 2 at a little nature path in our town. As I understand, they have been here for a while, but it is the first time that I'd ever seen them. Shows how observant (or lazy) I am...hehe...hope you enjoy them. I don't usually get a chance to get this up close and personal with wildlife and it was a real treat to get in close enough for some very nice detail.
    Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Ah.... mute swans ;)

They are an introduced species from europe.

They are common in my area, but VERY rare to your area as a wild(non domesticated) species.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread Information