ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Paging paulnj

Paging paulnj

I was hoping I could get some help getting an ID on these and I know these are really really really bad pictures. Had to zoom in then crop them. There were approx 20 (that we counted) of these soring and circling over my area heading back to a canyon just north of me. I know we have golden and a few bald eagles in the area, but it has been a long time since I lived out there. At first I thought they were vulchers, until I zoomed in on the computer. So I'm just hoping they are ealges...which is my hunch. That means the family has "grown". They have been coming over the house for the last 3 days that I have noticed, about the same time of day...breakfast time. So tomorrow I'm am going to be waiting with camera in hand in hopes to get a much better picture. Thank you, if you can make them out that will be great.

Terri
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paging paulnj-dsc_7315a.jpg   Paging paulnj-dsc_0001a.jpg  

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    THESE IMAGES ARE PERFECT for an ID

wing feathers are white, bird black.....the second image even shows BEHAVIOR

they are TURKEY VULTURES, sorry I AM 100% POSITIVE TOO ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thank you, Thank You...

That was my first thought. My eyes just aren't what they use to be...LOL...age. So I just wanted to be sure. They have been flying over the last couple mornings about 10. Yesterday the first group that came by had 19, then 4, and on and on. Makes sense...the end of summer, no water out there, and a lot of range animals out there. Beautiful to watch, though! Where I use to live, there is a canyon were there use to be 3 pair of Bald eagles and pair of golden eagles in another canyon. Along with the redtail hawks, etc. Great area for big birds. Someday I should venture out to the canyon and watch for them. I know there still there. I know someone who went to far into the canyon and got buzzed by a couple of the eagles during nesting time. He's lucky thats all they did. Thank you for the ID. If I find them...I'll send pcitures :-)

Terri

oops...forgot to show this one

The were a pair of these flying above my sisters house.....she lives on a hill, so at times they were almost eye level. I got a bunch of great shots of them....but forgot to move them into the computer and lost all the pictures but this one :-( It's a digital thing, viewed but not moved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paging paulnj-red-tail-sm2.jpg  

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    yes I have done that too ;)

No golden eagles here, but we do get a few migrating through in october/november. Yes the Nevada area is great for goldens, with a few balds near water. Bald eagles are reliant on fish for food(though I have seen young ones eat dead geese to survive), while goldens will eat anything(basicly) alive or dead.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information