ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Orange Lilly

Orange Lilly

I have really struggled with this one and I think I have it the way I want it but not sure. I liked the colors and worked to get a desent image out of it. What do you think? Have I failed or is this one that I can let the wife show her friends. (She has several of my images on her screen saver and people coming in and out of her office generally comment on them.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orange Lilly-dsc_6501.crop-jpg.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Orange Lilly

OT,

Great shot. Love the colors, just magnificent!

Wonderful shooting,

Jared

Hey OT,

I think that is a nice shot and definitely worthy for a screen saver on MY computer.

I'm historically not one to shoot flowers (nor appreciate flower shots). That category seemed quite common as I looked around. But, for some reason I've started doing just that this spring (and have put a couple flower submissions to Photo Critique here).

I didn't realize what a challenge flowers could be. My two big challenges are creative compositions (after that "unique" flower image) and appropriate DOF. I think you've treated both quite nicely here.

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Hey OT,

I think that is a nice shot and definitely worthy for a screen saver on MY computer.

I'm historically not one to shoot flowers (nor appreciate flower shots). That category seemed quite common as I looked around. But, for some reason I've started doing just that this spring (and have put a couple flower submissions to Photo Critique here).

I didn't realize what a challenge flowers could be. My two big challenges are creative compositions (after that "unique" flower image) and appropriate DOF. I think you've treated both quite nicely here.

BR,
    Tim
    I think you hit it right on the head Tim. With the equipment we have today we should all get reasonably good exposure and focus. But to get something that is not just, "yeah there is another flower picture" is a challenge. As I said I struggle with this trying to get a crop that I felt was a little out of the ordinary. I know it isn't exceptional but I hope it's a little different.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Wow. I'd say it is exceptional. That deep blue really sets off the orange. I love that you can see the individual pollen grains. How did you get such great DOF?
    ----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Wow. I'd say it is exceptional. That deep blue really sets off the orange. I love that you can see the individual pollen grains. How did you get such great DOF?
    Chunk thanks for your nice comment. Here is how a went about this shot.

I would have to go back and check but I think that this was shot at f32. I was on a Bogen tripod and was using the remote, to trigger the shutter, that Santa left in my socking this Christmas to try and avoid as much vibration and motion as possible. I was spot metering and was focusing manuel. I was working fairly close with the 105mm macro lens. I had late afternoon sun and thank goodness no wind to mess up the focus once it was set. I did use an artifical background when I didn't like what Mother Nature was providing.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information