ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Official Chicago Gathering Thread!

The other night, we decided to schedule this year's Chicago Gathering on November 12th and 13th (Sat-Sun) in downtown Chicago. Couple of things:
    1. Who's coming? We had a good turnout last year, and hope to this year as well. I think a few people stayed at the Westin next to House of Blues which was pretty convenient. I'll get a room there this year!
    2. Is anyone interested in doing a print share this year? Last year, a few of us who did started their own threads with a poll for who wanted what print, usually from a choice of four. Time to think about which ones to use.
    3. Anything in particular that we want to get to? There's a huge list of possibilities in Chicago. We always find things to do but if someone has something they really wantto do, we'll try to work it in.
    If you haven't been to the gathering before, it's a lot of fun and a very laid back weekend. We usually walk around downtown and shoot, some people show their work, do the print trade, go out to eat, etc. I'm looking forward to it!

Re: The Official Chicago Gathering Thread!

Plan for me to be there ... as of right now, I'm not doing lighting for the university play that weekend. Let's hope it stays that way!

Two days, huh? That'll be cool. Last year I left feeling like there was more we could have done. Is anyone available in the area to set up any studio shooting for us? I'd love to learn about how to set up a controlled environment. But if not, that's OK too.

It might be nice to finally get up in the Sears tower. Otherwise, I don't much mind what we do. Last year was great just wandering around town together.

As for the print exchange, well, I don't think I've printed a single thing since I switched to digital. I don't even know where to go for good-quality prints (although we just got a new Canon PIXMA MP760 Photo printer ... would that be good enough?) So I'm a bit on the fence about whether I'll join in on it. My participation is To Be Determined ....

But I wouldn't miss seeing everyone if I possibly can! Last year was FUN. And hopefully by November my exercise routine will be showing some results ...

So count me in!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Ghost

This has always looked fun to me:
    http://www.bobbysbikehike.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    This would WAY suck since...I can't ride a bike. shhhh--- don't tell anyone... maybe someone could pull me behind their bike on my rollerblades like Kip and we could all head to Rexkwando
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    This would WAY suck since...I can't ride a bike. shhhh--- don't tell anyone... maybe someone could pull me behind their bike on my rollerblades like Kip and we could all head to Rexkwando
    Aww, come on. We'd have you taking it off some sweet jumps in no time!

Yeah, but in November? You're a diehard (well, my kayak may not be put away for the winter at that point though). I thought about the Chicago River Architectural Tour (you know, the one in the Dave Matthews news story ) but they're done for the season in October.

Kelly, digital just makes printing easier. I make a file at the 8x10 crop and do anything else to it needed in Photoshop. The file can be printed at a grocery store and it'll look great (I've used Woodman's many times). Another alternative is mpix.com and they'll show up at your door in a couple of days. You can do them yourself but you might find that you can get great prints for less time and cost this way (I did).

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

You can count me in at this point, but that could change down the road. I hope not, buy you know how that goes... I don't really have any ideas of where to go or what to do...

My tastes lean towards nature and landscapes, but I'm open to anything. Some of my first thoughts were some parks, or gardens. Prob. not much for gardens in November tho. Other thoughts were the zoo, or aquariums, museums, those types of things. But like I said, I'm up for anything.

As for the photo exchange, I would be willing to participate if others want to.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

I'm in...

Excellent. Booked my flight and room today. I'll be flying into town that Friday (11th) and leaving Monday (14th)...

I like to stay in a different place each year, so this year I booked the Hotel Monaco:

http://www.monaco-chicago.com/index.html

It's a French-style boutique hotel downtown. It appears to be very visual and stylish, so what I may try to do is set up a fashion shoot there for one of the weekend days.

Now, some of you may remember that I set up a shoot last year, but my model bailed on me. That was not a pleasant experience, so no promises this time around...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Really, Steve, a grocery store would make good prints??

I'll have to get organized and go find a place to do it. Hey, what I AM stoked about is that our new printer makes contact prints! YAY! One more step towards organization!

Trevor, that bike tour looks awesome! Steve's got a point though ... in November we might end up wearing mittens and carrying an umbrella. But if anyone wants to get together informally to do that before it gets too cold, let me know! (Would we have enough time to shoot?)

(Florida) Steve ... did you book the "Party Like A Rock Star" suite??

Ghost

Steve's right about it being in November. That hadn't occurred to me

Frankly, I don't much care what we do. It's just fun to get with a group of people. I'd probably do the print exchange thing as long as it doesn't need to be framed....I hate framing and always cost me a million dollars.

Aww, come on. We'd have you taking it off some sweet jumps in no time!
    I'd rather build a cake or something....
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Kelly, hard to believe but true. If you do all the prep work and they print it without any adjustments (which is what happens if you use the self-service kiosk and don't make any adjustments yourself), then all you need is a printer that's well maintained. I've had no problems with their prints. WalMart also uses Fuji Frontier printers which is what Woodman's has (closest to you is probably Madison though). Some people from the gathering have stayed Saturday night and since I haven't done that I've missed out on going out for dinner and shooting in evening light. So this year I'm staying!

Steve, great! Hotel Monaco is very cool - stayed at one in Denver a few years ago. My wife has a frequent guest (or whatever it's called) deal with Westin so I may stay there, but I'll look at Monaco too.

Mike, everything natural will be brown (and grey if you include the sky)... Think of it as a challenge!

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    The other night, we decided to schedule this year's Chicago Gathering on November 12th and 13th (Sat-Sun) in downtown Chicago. Couple of things:
    1. Who's coming? We had a good turnout last year, and hope to this year as well. I think a few people stayed at the Westin next to House of Blues which was pretty convenient. I'll get a room there this year!
    2. Is anyone interested in doing a print share this year? Last year, a few of us who did started their own threads with a poll for who wanted what print, usually from a choice of four. Time to think about which ones to use.
    3. Anything in particular that we want to get to? There's a huge list of possibilities in Chicago. We always find things to do but if someone has something they really wantto do, we'll try to work it in.
    If you haven't been to the gathering before, it's a lot of fun and a very laid back weekend. We usually walk around downtown and shoot, some people show their work, do the print trade, go out to eat, etc. I'm looking forward to it!
    Chicago eh?

I never went to Chicago so far. This could/should be a lot of fun. I can't give a definite answer right now as it will depend on how work is going at that time but I am interested.

Seb

My calender is marked.

Kelly, if your interested in staying over, do you want to split a room? I'm not sure yet if that's a possiblity, but after my drive home last Thursday....

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    (Florida) Steve ... did you book the "Party Like A Rock Star" suite??

I wanna stay at the Party Like a Rock Star suite!!!

I almost forget. Last Thursday Trevor mentioned the he wanted to hit some clubs while we were down there.

Chicks dig guys with moves.

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I almost forget. Last Thursday Trevor mentioned the he wanted to hit some clubs while we were down there.

Chicks dig guys with moves.
    I'll bring the glow sticks!!!

Well, all modesty aside...

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I wanna stay at the Party Like a Rock Star suite!!!
    ANYWHERE I stay ultimately becomes a Party Like a Rock Star Suite...

Ah, who am I kidding? I'm as quiet as a church mouse and always on my best behavior when I travel...

Then again, both the Diva and Ooh Baby Baby packages look pretty enticing... ;)

http://www.monaco-chicago.com/html/specialsPackages.htm

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Well, all modesty aside...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    ANYWHERE I stay is in essence becomes a Party Like a Rock Star Suite. Ah, who am I kidding? I'm as quiet as a church mouse and always on my best behavior when I travel...

Then again, both the Diva and Ooh Baby Baby packages look pretty enticing... ;)

http://www.monaco-chicago.com/html/specialsPackages.htm
    Yeah, the ones to look out for are Loren and Irakly. Those two attract security like honey attracts bees. Or something.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Re: I'm in...

Steve,

You should just use our Self-Portrait Queen (Adina) as your model. She pretty much hammed it up for us last year, and it would allow everybody to learn.

Of course, a real shoot would be exciting also.

Lorenzo
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Ah, about time we heard from...

...the Honorary Mayor of Little Warsaw.

So, those dates are kosher-ific with you?

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Ah, about time we heard from...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    ...the Honorary Mayor of Little Warsaw.

So, those dates are kosher-ific with you?
    Yup, I'm in.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Then it's settled...

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    Steve, You should just use our Self-Portrait Queen (Adina) as your model.
    That should work out fine, as long as she has no objection to the Victoria's Secret outfits I picked out for the shoot...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Chicago eh?

I never went to Chicago so far. This could/should be a lot of fun. I can't give a definite answer right now as it will depend on how work is going at that time but I am interested.

Seb

It's a great town. I grew up in the suburbs of the city, and there is a ton of stuff to do.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information