ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    drg

So you wanna party like Rock Stars?

Check out this hotel:

http://www.hardrockhotelchicago.com/
    They appear to have a weekend rate of $209 that weekend.

This is a COOL building. The building used to have one of the largest Louis Comfort Tiffany Stained glass windows in existence.I believe the window is in one of the real expensive suites now, not sure. Free Internet, plasma or wide screen TV's in every room. The rooms have awesome views of the river and Mag Mile from the south. Yeah, I like this hotel. After the demise of the original Nikko this was a welcome addition and saved a very important building.

November 12 & 13 are in my PDA, on the Calendar and in the phone. Train reservations are in the works.

The BEARS are home that weekend so Grant/Millenium Park and the Loop may be a little busy.

More soon regarding activity suggestions. I've got a load of good places to eat in Chicago.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Re: Then it's settled...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    That should work out fine, as long as she has no objection to the Victoria's Secret outfits I picked out for the shoot...

Ummm.....hmmmm....ahhh....

I'll let you know how my treadmilling goes.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Unfortunately...cannot go. :(

I just canceled my Vietnam trip in October, and replaced it with a November trip to Oaxaca, Mexico.

Just spent every dime I had on camera and lighting equipment, that I can barely afford coffee. I look forward to seeing the studio images of Adina!!!

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Yeah, very mixed feelings about that place...

We hung out near that hotel quite a bit last year. I remember seeing it from the outside and thinking it looked like a real cool building. Great facade and marquee. I also admire Tiffany stained glass, and appreciate you sharing that bit of history...

Unfortunately, I kinda detest the Hard Rock Cafe. I don't particularly like franchise restaurants to begin with (ah, don't get me started on Starbucks, heh heh), and I've always felt HRC was one of the silliest and most pretentious ones going.

Sure, I realize this is a VERY upscale and cool version of Hard Rock, but it's Hard Rock nonetheless. I'm really not sure if I could enjoy being in that atmosphere or not...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Yeah, very mixed feelings about that place...

I don't particularly like franchise restaurants to begin with (ah, don't get me started on Starbucks, heh heh),

Starbucks is evil, second only to Wal-Mart, with McD's coming in a close third.

Re: So you wanna party like Rock Stars?

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    The BEARS are home that weekend so Grant/Millenium Park and the Loop may be a little busy.
    Ooh - that's good to know! HRC Hotel, The Westin and Monaco are pretty close to each other so that should work out pretty well. Keep the ideas coming and well see what we can work out. Sears Tower would be cool and I haven't been there since I was a kid. I guess it depends on the weather though!

Re: So you wanna party like Rock Stars?

Will it be more difficult to get a hotel downtown with the Bears playing at home that weekend? Meaning, should we reserve early?

Starbucks is NOT evil. Nowhere near the evility of Wal-Mart, McD's and Microsoft.

... although Caribou Coffee is much, much better IMO ...
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: The Official Chicago Gathering Thread!

I couldn't be happier to give my money to Starbucks, considering how well they treat their employees. Part-time workers get good wages and full-time benefits. Wal-Mart employees get life insurance taken out on them that only Wal-Mart can claim, among other questionable practices, so yeah, they are evil...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    I just canceled my Vietnam trip in October...
    Sorry to hear that, Loren. Seems like that was an important trip for you. Guess you'd better start making money with your new gear so you have the resources to make the trip later!...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Well, sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I couldn't be happier to give my money to Starbucks, considering how well they treat their employees...
    ...I like to support the working joe as much as the next guy. I just feel that these super-franchise places are cookie-cutter blood suckers that rob a community of its local color.

I guess my point about HRC is that I truely dislike THEME restaurants (especially with a phoney rock theme), where a carnival atmosphere and the show the help puts on overshadows everything else. Give me ambience and atmosphere over flash anytime...

That being said, can't wait to hit Harry Caray's again: http://www.harrycarays.com

Yeah, a theme place to be sure, but uniquely Chicago and great food. Besides, the exception proves the rule, right?

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Wow...

Sorry to hear that, Loren. Seems like that was an important trip for you. Guess you'd better start making money with your new gear so you have the resources to make the trip later!...
    I am actually planning on spending an entire month next summer in Vietnam to travel from the North to the South where my mom's home village is.

Money was too tight, and time was too short so the value wasn't there for this trip. Travel times between cities and locations take so long. For next year with more time it should be better, and plus once you get there, money goes a long way. I'm sure that it will be happen since my mom, brother, and my Karen will be going.

I'm excited about Mexico and to see a more traditional mexican life.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    The other night, we decided to schedule this year's Chicago Gathering on November 12th and 13th (Sat-Sun) in downtown Chicago. Couple of things:
    1. Who's coming? We had a good turnout last year, and hope to this year as well. I think a few people stayed at the Westin next to House of Blues which was pretty convenient. I'll get a room there this year!
    2. Is anyone interested in doing a print share this year? Last year, a few of us who did started their own threads with a poll for who wanted what print, usually from a choice of four. Time to think about which ones to use.
    3. Anything in particular that we want to get to? There's a huge list of possibilities in Chicago. We always find things to do but if someone has something they really wantto do, we'll try to work it in.
    If you haven't been to the gathering before, it's a lot of fun and a very laid back weekend. We usually walk around downtown and shoot, some people show their work, do the print trade, go out to eat, etc. I'm looking forward to it!
    I would like to meet you all. where is the gathering piont going to be?
    Mark.

Last year we gathered in the hotel lobby where Loren was staying, and then walked to where we were going. I think that type of arrangement would work well again.

That's probably best - I guess we'll see who's staying where and what's most convenient and central for everybody. We'll get that figured out - but if it's at a different time than you want to meet, we could meet up with you or anyone else later, too. We're pretty flexible!

Nothing really set yet as far as times or itenerary (if that's what you call what we do! ;) ). I really just wanted to set the date and get people thinking about what they want to do for now.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Can I come and play too. I'll be in Chitown November 10-13 with a bunch of my student journalist types. The biggest problem will be that I might be the only chaperone for the group. My print counterpart is going to a family members wedding. I will be up there with a bunch of my video kids and a few still shooters from the yearbook and newspaper, all 9 -12 graders. We'll be attending the NSPA fall seminar. The link is below. PLEASE come and have dinner some place near so that I can attend with entourage in tow, but stashed at the kiddie table?
    http://www.studentpress.org/nspa/pdf/chicagopromo.pdf
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

learning member

You can count me in! I have some vacation time saved up so I may make it a three or four day weekend. I'll be with a freind and I have some relatives in the area, so I'll try to make the most of whatever time I have to spend there.
    Mark.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

It's not looking good for me. :(

We had a meeting today at work, and it looks like there is a pretty good chance that I'm going to be working that weekend. It's still a ways off, but mid Oct-mid Dec is our bussiest time of the year. With 60% of our staff gone after the restructuring this past spring, I imagine I will be putting in a lot of overtime this winter. If nothing else, I may be able to drive down for the day on Sunday, or come down late Sat. afternoon. It's going to be a wait and see game for me.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

drg

Another Possible Activity for Attendees!

If you have not read the "News and Rumors" area, Kelly posted this Just Show Me How note on 9.26.2005. That's the Chicago Gathering Weekend!

We might get a lot of people to come to the "gathering" at this rate, at least one day or the other.

So far I've found three other Photog's (I hope they start posting some day instead of lurking) who seem interested in wandering around Chicago.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks for the heads-up...

I use Kevin's book quite a lot. That just might be worth attending on Sunday...

BTW, here's the official website for the seminars:

http://www.justshowmehowpro.com/

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

HBT

I'll try to make it a one of those days.....I need to escape Ft. McCoy

~ Hieu
    "And if these pictures have anything important to say to future generations, it's this: I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and someone cared enough about me in this world to take my picture. "

OK, I guess procrastination doesn't pay. I just booked my room at the Westin River North, which is where we all met last year. Prices went up a bit in the last month, and seems to be the case for all of them in the area. Best deal now is probably here or the Holiday Inn on Ohio. House of Blues looks really cool, and Hotel Monaco will always be good too. All of these are within a few-ish blocks of each other.

I'll probably skip the seminar on Sunday, but it does look very informative.

Yeah, was giving that some thought...

"I'll probably skip the seminar on Sunday, but it does look very informative..."

Yep. It didn't take long for me to realize my time in Chicago is infinitely more valuable than a photo workshop. Besides, it looks like he's just covering the material in his book...

"I just booked my room at the Westin River North, which is where we all met last year..."

Cool. Let's make that our "home base" again. And I swear, the fact that they have a delicious microbrew on tap in their bar was NOT a factor in my choice... ;)

Now, all you guys have to work on is getting me some snow. But not TOO MUCH!

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Yeah, was giving that some thought...

[B]

Now, all you guys have to work on is getting me some snow. But not TOO MUCH!

Snow? We're at 85 degrees here in October! Of course we'll have snow by then. Probably a good foot and a half.

OK, here's how the list looks now. Do I have this right?

Yes: Kelly, Trevor, Steve H (Asylum Steve), Sebastian, Adina, drg, Mark (mdmc), Michael (MJS, at least for dinner) and Hieu (HBT, Sebastian's friend?).

Maybe: Mike (MJS1973) and Seb (from Montreal)

No: Natalie and Loren (Racing Pinarello)

Mike, hope it works out with the job but I imagine this time of year is pretty busy for you. Anyone else is welcome to join us too, either for the whole weekend, a couple hours, or whatever works. Post here if you're interested.

Guess it's time to start thinking a little more about this... Microbrew? That's a good start!

Wow, sounds like we have enough...

...for a PHOTO GANG!

I say we go around the neighborhood scaring small children and old folks with our cameras...

Wait a minute...that's what we did LAST YEAR!...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information