ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Not NYC....

Not NYC....

While some of you guys were living it up in the Big Apple life went on for the rest of the world. My town will never be mistaken for NYC but believe it or not this was a pretty busy Saturday afternoon in the heart of downtown. For many years we only had two traffic lights but progress and a new by-pass has us up to five with couple of caution light thrown in for good measure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not NYC....-saturday-afternoon.jpg  

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I love it.

Maybe we should do a "Small Town America" photogathering next. In honor of all the small-town, laid-back folks who live in not-ChicagoSanFranciscoDenverMiamiWashingtonSeattleNew YorkPHiladelphiaLA.

There's a few, I heard. ;)

I lived in a town with population 26,000 once. That's as small as I've gotten.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

It's hurricane season... again...
    Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Maybe we should do a "Small Town America" photogathering next. In honor of all the small-town, laid-back folks who live in not-ChicagoSanFranciscoDenverMiamiWashingtonSeattleNew YorkPHiladelphiaLA.

There's a few, I heard. ;)

I lived in a town with population 26,000 once. That's as small as I've gotten.

Rick
    My town: population 11,376. I guess that counts as a small town! I'll have to go looking for something to shoot (photographically!) tomorrow....
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Mainstreet?

Hey Kristin,

Why don't you shoot Mainstreet? That way we "big city folks" can have a taste of the Simple Life (without the annoying blonde girls ;)

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Hey Kristin,

Why don't you shoot Mainstreet? That way we "big city folks" can have a taste of the Simple Life (without the annoying blonde girls ;)

Rick
    Sure thing... it's very funny sometimes, to think about how excited we all were just to get a Wendy's a few years ago! We have a little of everything here... some REALLY wealthy folks, (who help to keep our little town little!) the beach, and golfing... and then we have middle class families complete with soccer moms, farms, orange groves, and COWS. (and people who still say y'all ;) )

I think I like it here... Mainstreet it is!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    While some of you guys were living it up in the Big Apple life went on for the rest of the world. My town will never be mistaken for NYC but believe it or not this was a pretty busy Saturday afternoon in the heart of downtown. For many years we only had two traffic lights but progress and a new by-pass has us up to five with couple of caution light thrown in for good measure.
    We were a two-stoplight town also until a couple of years ago... now we're up to 8.

Love your pic!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Howdy y'all

I didn't know they said "y'all" in Florida. I thought you guys just talked about oranges all the time.

Do you guys have conversations about who's related to you?

I worked at the Hardees in Harrisonburg, Va for... 2 weeks and I heard some local kids talking about who they were related to, like: "You know Linda Lou? Yeah, she's like my niece's second cousin." "Oh, yeah? You know Billy Joe? He's actually my father's daughter's son" or something like that.

Nothing against 'em. Just wondering if that's something you do in small town America on Friday nights ;)

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

LOL no, I don't think we're THAT small town. hahaha But, I do still run into quite a few people that I went to high school with. Funny thing is, the town that we all grew up in is the next town over- and it has quadrupled in size since I lived there. I guess I'm just a small town girl. ;) Yeehaw! hahahaha
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

I think I can beat you all!

I teach in a town with no stoplights, only a few stopsigns that lead onto the "main road." There's a bank, video store and small grocery store. Our school is preK-grade 12 in one building! Not even much need for a name! Our school is surrounded by corn fields on 3 sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Olive
    I teach in a town with no stoplights, only a few stopsigns that lead onto the "main road." There's a bank, video store and small grocery store. Our school is preK-grade 12 in one building! Not even much need for a name! Our school is surrounded by corn fields on 3 sides.
    Yep, you've got me beat for sure! It does sound a lot like where I'm originally from, in the Chicago suburbs... Smalltown, USA ;)
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

You win :)

I drove through a town in Wyoming with population 11 once. If I can find the picture I took of that sign, I'll post it.
    Walter Rick Long

Small town charm ...

I used to wish that I lived in Mayberry, Andy Griffith's TV town, with everyone knowing everybody and everything. But after spending time in NYC, living in downtown Philly, and vacationing in LA, I get nervous even when I'm in the suburbs, thinking I am about to leave civilization. Nice shot, Old Timer.

I drove through a town in Wyoming with population 11 once. If I can find the picture I took of that sign, I'll post it.

Liz

Cool Yup.........small town talk

I was born in NY - actually Jackson Heights.......we moved from there to Navarre, Ohio when I was about seven. At the time there were only 2 lights in the town near a highway that ran through somewhere on the edge of the town. No stop signs, etc. My Dad worked in one of the few places of employment - the Bakery......we used to get warm Vienna bread when he came home at night. I preferred bologna sandwiches on that nice bread to steak, making my hard working parents very unhappy! It's still a nice little town.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    I used to wish that I lived in Mayberry, Andy Griffith's TV town, with everyone knowing everybody and everything. But after spending time in NYC, living in downtown Philly, and vacationing in LA, I get nervous even when I'm in the suburbs, thinking I am about to leave civilization. Nice shot, Old Timer.

We just topped 3000...

We just topped 3000 in population a couple of years ago. We were at 2950 for several decades. I was the Mayor of this version of Mayberry for a few years back in the 80's. That was an experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. I am glad that this picture stimulated a few thoughts and comments. I hope we can get some kind of small town life thread or maybe even a project going soon. In the meantime here is where I called home much of the day for about 8 years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not NYC....-city-hall.jpg  

I would love it

It would be soooo nice to live in a small town,,,,

You are really fortunate.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

OK, here's our "Mainstreet"... zzzzzzzzzzzz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not NYC....-smalltown2.jpg  
    Last edited by kkraczek; 05-01-2004 at 09:09 PM.
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Heh. That's awesome. My cousin always complains because my aunt and uncle live in a town that consists of 2 roads. They have a church and a general store. The best part is that the general store has a giant cow statue on the roof.

Seriously though, I absolutely love small towns. More photos!!

Danielle

Hey at least you've got...

A herring bone pattern in your crosswalks? - looking on the bright side of things -

There MUST be something interesting and exciting here! Kristin, YOUR photo-project is to MAKE YOUR HOME TOWN LOOK LIKE FUN!!!

hee hee hee...
    Walter Rick Long

A herring bone pattern in your crosswalks? - looking on the bright side of things -

There MUST be something interesting and exciting here! Kristin, YOUR photo-project is to MAKE YOUR HOME TOWN LOOK LIKE FUN!!!

hee hee hee...
    Maybe I'll photograph our next parade... otherwise it's all golf balls and crickets! oh, and cows! LOL
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Thread Information