ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Fun at Balboa Park

Took the new digital Rebel out to the park after work but this time to get some practice with the 70-300 mm lens.

#1 A cute little bulldog sniffs out a clue, straight out of the camera except for sharpening in ps.

#2 A male mallard duck poses for me, straight out of the camera except for sharpening in ps.

#3 His female companion, had to do some curves and color balancing and sharpening in ps.

#4 Radio controlled race boats, used the sports mode on this one, straight out of the camera except for sharpening in ps.

I have one more that I would really like your thoughts on but I'm only allowed to post 4 images per thread, so I'll post it as an addendum thread.

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fun at Balboa Park-bulldog.jpg   Fun at Balboa Park-mallard.jpg   Fun at Balboa Park-mallard-female.jpg   Fun at Balboa Park-elec-boats.jpg  

I love these!! Can't say that I stayed calm knowing these were shot with the dRebel, esp when looking at the details in the grass and feathers on pics 1&3! Pic 4 looks the result of a lot of patience for that moment. What 70-300mm lens is this?

Hi Tuna,

Thanks for the comments! I bought the drebel body kit from canogacamera.com (which includes battery and charger) and instead of getting Canon's standard 18-55 lens kit I opted for the two Sigma lens kit for an additional $198.00. The two lenses are Sigma's AF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical II Mini Zoom Macro lens and the AF 70-300 f/4-5.6 DL Macro Super Zoom lens. As I stated on another thread, these are not Sigma's best lenses but they are doing a pretty decent job so far.

Ray

I am amazed...

I am amazed with the quality you are getting from your Sigma lenses. I gave my Sigma 28-105 away and replaced it with a Nikkor 35-70 f2.8 that I love. I posted an image from the Sigma 70-300 a couple of days ago that was no where as sharp as your photo's. I had been using this lense with the N80 with mixed reaction. When I got the D70 and started using it on the digital I just didn't like the results. A couple of thing could be at fault 1) the lense 2) my technique 3) my total lack of PS skill after the fact. I would really like to make this lense work with the D70 any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Old Timer,

Sorry for the late response. I'm not sure what to tell you except that I learned real fast that I have to hold much more still using these lenses than I ever had to with my Nikon CP5000. I am also using the program mode for now until I become more familiar with the Drebel. Thus far it seems to do a pretty decent job with white balance and exposure. But mainly holding still has vastly improved my pictures from day one of using this camera. Wish I could help more but really that's about it, hehe.

Ray

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Looks like you're adjusting to SLR life just fine Ray! These are very nice - love the bulldog! I had the DL macro super back in my first go-round with Canon and I thought it was just dandy for the price.

Danielle

Thread Information