ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My First Wedding Shoot

I was asked to work as a second photographer in a wedding. I had never considered doing this kind of thing, and those of you who have been around these forums for a few years and may be familiar with my photography know that I usually go after dark, desolate scenes and AVOID people in my works.
    I thought the challenge might be fun and I realize that events and wedding photography can bring in some more money to support my, er habit.
    I had all the equipment needed (2 camera bodies, lenses, 2 580 EX ll flashes, battery pack, lots of memory, spare batteries, etc. ) so I thought it would be worthwhile and was actually excited about this.
    I was working with a somewhat old school photog who asked that I shoot all jpegs and she would take my cards and process everything herself. She does very little post processing and basically crops and prints. (She is pretty good, but I'm convincing her to get into a RAW workflow)
    Well, I shot about 1200 images through the course of the day and wound up with a few hundred that I felt were pretty good. She was happy with them as well, especially after I convinced her to allow me to PP some of them. I did not get alot of the "key" shots like the portraits and stuff as she wanted me to work in the bg picking up alot of candids, etc.
    My first impression after doing my first wedding. . . Flash photography is a whole different animal. I've been doing alot of researching and experimenting in trying to get a comfortable consistency with it.
    I have a new found respect for those wedding photographers that can come back with great shots of wonderful moments.

And so here are a few from the day . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Wedding Shoot-002.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-003.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-004.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-005.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-006.jpg  

please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: My First Wedding Shoot

some more . . . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Wedding Shoot-007.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-008.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-009.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-010.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-011.jpg  

gary

a few more . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Wedding Shoot-012.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-013.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-014.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-015.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-017.jpg  

gary

and some . . . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Wedding Shoot-019.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-023.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-024.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-029.jpg   My First Wedding Shoot-030.jpg  

gary

Hey, Gary, a lot of great moment shots here!

It's probably your style (based on what I see on the critique forum), but some of the shots the people look pale, especially the first one. But, it could be just my eyes :blush2:

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

I'm picking up on the color shift as well on my monitor. Almost looks like a light sepia toning to all of them.

I really love the capture of the last image.
    Feel free to make my photos look better than I can

I know how hard this sort of thing is to shoot.
    Superb Gary! Well done! You captured alot of wonderful moments there.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Good stuff Gary!
    I am sure the happy couple love your photographs!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Excellent job Gary .. and kudos for having the guts to do it in the first place!

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

great job.
    i agree.
    i am too afraid to even try because it's not like they can go and redo the whole event if i dont get any good shots.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'm afraid of weddings, too. I've done a bit of candid stuff at ones I was forced to go. I think being asked to assist is a credit to your skill and a good way to learn.

Now explain shot #5 to me and us please. I thought it was a mirror then no, that can't be, then I thought twins but only one girl in all the others, and it doesn't look like a double exposure either?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Great shots and kudos for trying it, Im afraid of brides and their moms

Thanks for the great points and words, everyone.
    AE and Berrywise, the first image is somewhat pale, but pops face was very red and I wanted to have him looking better. Also, I do like to reduce saturation and add some fading appearances to my works and I felt the need to do so with these as well. It's just my thing, I guess.
    Working as a second photographer did not give me the anxiety I might have had if I were doing this alone for the first time. Actually, I would not have taken a wedding job on my own for the first time. Personally I would feel that it would be iresponsible of me to do without some experience under my belt. I did an anniversary before this for some friends of mine as a favor and so had a bit of a warm up for it.
    Frog, the image you refer to is actually two girls sitting together on the steps. They were nieces of the Groom, at least one of them were anyway. They were both so delightful and photogenic and loved having their pics taken. The one nearest the camera is also the same girl in the church resting her head on the banister. I have lots of other shots of both of them.
    This was great experience and I look forward to doing more.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    AE and Berrywise, the first image is somewhat pale, but pops face was very red and I wanted to have him looking better. Also, I do like to reduce saturation and add some fading appearances to my works and I felt the need to do so with these as well. It's just my thing, I guess.
    Pretty much my thought.

In some culture, skin tone like that would make them think of something else other than a happy event like a wedding...just FYI...in case you're accepting more assignments.

I bet they are pleased with you :thumbsup: -did my first,last month,know how hard it is !

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Nice job Gary.
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

Gary those shots are excellent. I really love the colour style you managed to incorporate into these shots. Shooting your first wedding is always a great experience-- the adrenaline pumps through you (kind of like Nadal v. Federer today ) because you can't afford to miss shots. I'm sure the couple is going to love these photos .
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Gary, nice to see you've broadened your horizons... Some nice stuff there.
    John
    PLEASE ASK BEFORE MAKING ANY EDITS. THANK YOU.

If I care enough to leave a critique or comment on your work, please return the favor.

My Aviation photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/addiesgranddaddy

Everything else:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9367218@N03/

Liz

Gary,

Congratulations on your first wedding! Wow! You really did a great job. I love the wedding candids. There is a more real, relaxing tone to the photos when you're not trying to "pose" them. I think you did well with the color. I like your style, at any rate.

Just yesterday I attended the wedding of my good friends' son. It was awesome! Of course, I was watching the pro photographer (there were also about 25 other not-so-pro "photographers" with tiny p&s in hand). The photographer was in the Church probably about 11:30 a.m. - wedding was at 1:00.......then directly to the reception where he was still going at 10:30 while the crowd was dispersing. I wouldn't take that job no matter what the pay!!!!!!!!! It is one tough and long-suffering job!

It must make you feel good to have this experience behind you - and in your portfolio.

BTW, You captured some interesting moments. Some of my favorites include the first shot - great expressions! Also, the one you shot from above of the bride and groom coming down the aisle, and the dancing.....I think my favorite are the two girls on the stairs - they look like twins.

Liz

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Love the one of the bride in the car Gary! Congrats! You did a great job.:thumbsup:
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Gary,
    I can say being a bride in the purchasing department of pictures not so long ago (and also recently divorced hehe...) that this is a definite style I've seen for weddings. I personally happen to love the color, but again like others have commented it, as the photographer you'd have to get their preference. Is this all pp, you mentioned flash photography being totally different but it doesn't even seem as though the flash is on-which I guess is the point. Just from a beginners point of view this would be more of the style I'd prefer to shoot at an event like this and was curious how you obtained the look, if you don't mind me asking.

Oh and I love the first shot, he looks so smug hehe...I'm not really a serious person so seeing that little edge of humor is nice.
    "I say, when life gives you lemons, use it so the salt sticks to your margarita glass":devil:
    -Me

www.flickr.com/photos/natashaleigh

Wow, Gary, interesting to see people in your images! It is interesting to see the many ranges /tones of color you picked up while working this out.
    The last shot definitely is a great one.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

It looks like it was a fun/relaxed wedding. The people must have felt comfortable with you and it shows. Nice job.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

AE, point well taken.
    Susaan, Rod, FX, John, thanks for taking the time to lend me the encouraging words.
    Liz, thanks. Yep, we were there from about 11:00 AM in the bride and grooms home and finally left the reception at about 11:30PM. My feet were aching, eyes were blurry from looking through the viewfinder for hours, and exhausted by the end. Yes, we had guests running in front of us to try to get their shots with their point and shoots and also had to contend with two huge videographers that were hired as well.
    Yes, Im fond of that shot of the two little girls. It reminds me a bit of a style and subjects that a photographer named Loretta Lux shoots. If you google her name you will find her photos. She has an uncanny way about capturing children and her post prcessing style is something that I like as well. These two little girls looked like they would be subjects she would have been very interested in as well.
    Cindy, thanks for your good words.
    Natgaines, thanks for taking the time to lend me your thoughts. your real "bride purchasing wedding pics" perspective is very important and interesting to me.I'm glad to know that you would have liked this particuliar style. I'm not sure what you meant by "this is a definite style I've seen for weddings"
    As far as the flash photography goes, I found that relying on the cameras metering system to determine flash ouput is not wise most of the time. Unlike the camera metering for ambient light, the metering for the flash ouput is not as reliable, or should i say it does not always do what we want it to do. I had learned that i need to be very hands on with adjusting flash exposure compensation as well as using Flash Exposure lock. Many of my shots that did not turn out good had alot to do with under exposure as the flash output was not as it needed to be. I did want to expose with as much ambient light as possible and just hit the subjects with enough flash to make them pop, but this certainly takes experience and skill to get a greater consistency than what I achieved.
    As for the post processing, it basically involves reducing saturation, sometimes changing the tint of the color, and sometimes adding a layer with brown tones introduced and fading it to a desireable look. Every image has it's own variation of editing, some very light and some can be heavier.
    btw, I had a look at your gallery and I like the approach you take on subjects, especially your sunflower images. Your choice of focus is also unusual and effective.
    thanks again
    Wow Rebekah, nice to see you on. Yes, it felt odd shooting AT people instead of away from them, but it was exciting when it worked and a moment was caught. I might like this after all . . .
    Thanks Loupey, I think they were alot more comfortable than I was. It felt weird being in someone elses home on one of the most important days of their life and walking about the house like I lived there. Then going into the brides room as she and the bridesmaids are doing their girly things . . .I don't think I could have done it alone.

gary

Great to see you expand your photographic portfolio to include people and events. I love to photograph people but decided many years ago I didn't want the hassle of dealing with brides and mothers, even if the extra dollars did help support the habit. I do think that I could take on being the number two man at a wedding however if I was given the opportunity to roam and do candids and try and catch those out of the spotlight special moments. Nice job on your first time out of the gate. Hope that it was a rewarding experience for you.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information