ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: My First Wedding Shoot

Gary,

That last dancing shot (030.jpg) is by far your strongest, but they're all solid. Though I like the toning I think if it was a result of trying to correct for a different color cast then something might be off. Balancing for mixed lighting is tricky, typically you have to pick one or the other.

My recommendation for the future (unless the main shooter is really against it) is to use artificial lighting only when absolutely necessary. There is so much mood to be found in available light that it's a shame to hide it with flash. It doesn't matter if your ISO has to go up with today's cameras.

My favorite thing about these photos is that your sense of composition is very apparent. I'm a big fan of your work and I have no doubt that you can find a place for your style in the wedding world. Though from the sound of it, it might help if you found another shooter that has more of your mentality and partner up with them. Shooting with a person that has a complementary style is great for the final product, which is telling the story of the day.

You're off to a great start.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Gary,

That last dancing shot (030.jpg) is by far your strongest, but they're all solid. Though I like the toning I think if it was a result of trying to correct for a different color cast then something might be off. Balancing for mixed lighting is tricky, typically you have to pick one or the other.

My recommendation for the future (unless the main shooter is really against it) is to use artificial lighting only when absolutely necessary. There is so much mood to be found in available light that it's a shame to hide it with flash. It doesn't matter if your ISO has to go up with today's cameras.

My favorite thing about these photos is that your sense of composition is very apparent. I'm a big fan of your work and I have no doubt that you can find a place for your style in the wedding world. Though from the sound of it, it might help if you found another shooter that has more of your mentality and partner up with them. Shooting with a person that has a complementary style is great for the final product, which is telling the story of the day.

You're off to a great start.
    Seb, I was looking forward to getting some feedback from you on these as you know I have tremendous respect for your work.

Yes, balancing the different lighting is tricky, but at times the differing colors appealed to me as well.

I agree about using more ambient lighting and less artificial light which is something I'm going to be trying more of. Inside these dark catering halls, however, I think we are pretty much dependant on the flash alot.

Something I have been experimenting with is using a color diffuser for the flash to match the ambient lighting. Thus setting the WB to tungsten and using a warm color on the diffuser has everything looking effectively ambient. I have some pretty effective results in my experimenting. I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are on this.

I think your advice about working with someone more in the same mindset and style is good. I see this as a starting point for me and am thankful for the experience I can get from it.

Thanks again, Seb. I value your words of experience.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Great to see you expand your photographic portfolio to include people and events. I love to photograph people but decided many years ago I didn't want the hassle of dealing with brides and mothers, even if the extra dollars did help support the habit. I do think that I could take on being the number two man at a wedding however if I was given the opportunity to roam and do candids and try and catch those out of the spotlight special moments. Nice job on your first time out of the gate. Hope that it was a rewarding experience for you.
    Larry , thanks for commenting. My feeling at this point is the same as yours. I think I like being the second photog for now and not having to deal directly with the . . er. .."emotionally charged clients". However, I am thinking that eventually I will want more flexibility and wiggle room for doing things my way, and I'm not sure if I can have my Cake and eat it too in this sense. So, this is a start and I will see where the path leads to and eventually make the right or left turn in the forks in the road when they come.

gary

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    those of you who have been around these forums for a few years and may be familiar with my photography know that I usually go after dark, desolate scenes and AVOID people in my works...
    Hah! This is the very reason I want to hang with you if I make it back to NYC, so you can take me to some of those spots! :thumbsup:

As for weddings, now that you've had your first (a'hem), I'd say you really have gone over to the dark side...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Hah! This is the very reason I want to hang with you if I make it back to NYC, so you can take me to some of those spots! :thumbsup:
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    As for weddings, now that you've had your first (a'hem), I'd say you really have gone over to the dark side...
    You forget I'm in the critique forum. . .I am from the dark side

gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information