ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Music Awards Show

I shot a local music awards show last night. I haven't done a lot of concert shooting, but I work during the day with one of the guys from the sound company. He got me a back stage pass - so I could shoot anywhere I wanted. The singer in the first shot is Robin Zander's (from Cheap Trick) daughter - I wish the highlights weren't so blown but still like the contrast. Both are pretty much right out of the camera except cropped to 8x10 for prints. Also shot some 3200 B&W, should get that film back in a week.

Hey Seb - the monopod worked great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Music Awards Show-rami1a.jpg   Music Awards Show-rami2b.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I shot a local music awards show last night. I haven't done a lot of concert shooting, but I work during the day with one of the guys from the sound company. He got me a back stage pass - so I could shoot anywhere I wanted. The singer in the first shot is Robin Zander's (from Cheap Trick) daughter - I wish the highlights weren't so blown but still like the contrast. Both are pretty much right out of the camera except cropped to 8x10 for prints. Also shot some 3200 B&W, should get that film back in a week.

Hey Seb - the monopod worked great!
    Nice Shots! I love the first one - curious - does her hair have green streaks or was that the lighting? I do a lot of concert shooting, it's fun!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Thanks - no green in her hair, just a lot of lighting. They go all out for this show - two follow spots, vari-lights, gobos, tons of cans, etc.

1/125 handheld at 200mm on Fuji S2, ISO 800 jpeg. I'm happy with it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Music Awards Show-rami3.jpg  

Cool

Nice job on the exposure. I know that is one of the hardest things about shooting a concert with so much mixed lighting.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Good Stuff!

Good stuff!
    I love shooting music stuff!
    I like your compositions and the color!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Steve,

Excellent job. They are slightly overexposed, but not badly. Love the compositions. How did you meter?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Steve,

Excellent job. They are slightly overexposed, but not badly. Love the compositions. How did you meter?
    I agree about the first one, but second and third look OK to me - not easy to do though. I found that matrix with -.5 stop compensation worked best. I was losing too many highlights with no comp and any more I'd be too dark. Gotta love histograms! Also tried CW but that didn't work too well either.

Thread Information