Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

how do you show date in image??

Hi,

I have a Canon A70 and I wanted to know how I can have the images show the date when the picture was taken. I don't use my printer to print pictures, I prefer to use instead photo stores.

I've inquired with Canon and all they can suggest is to buy Adobe Photoshop or Arcsoft Photoimpressions. I don't want to spend another $100 so I was wondering if I there are other options out there?

thanks in advance.

vtm

Why?

Is it OK to just have the date associated with the photos, or does it have to appear ON the photos? Because including a date/timestamp on a photo usually tends to detract from the image itself...

When your camera takes a photo it stores the date and time the image was taken, along with a lot of other data. This info stays with the photo. All you need is to use a browser that displays it. I'm using ACDSee. I believe there are free viewers available on the web that show the metadata, or EXIF data that is stored with each photo.

Since you store your photos online, you could simply include the date in the name of the folder. For example, Ski Trip - January 2004. If you're not editting them, then the date you save them to your hard drive obviously is also an indication of when they were taken.

Or you could buy a cheap image editor and add text to each and every photo. You can buy editors for $30, probably even less. I think it would be a hassle to manually add the date to each photo though.

Spike

Yes, I'd like to see the date ON the photo. I'm kinda old-fashioned and still like to see photos on paper, plus I usually take pictures of my kids and seeing the dates help me reminisce....

Can you recommend a decent but not too pricey image editor I can use for this purpose? If it has a feature that automates the adding of dates to a set of pictures that would even be better.

thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    Is it OK to just have the date associated with the photos, or does it have to appear ON the photos? Because including a date/timestamp on a photo usually tends to detract from the image itself...

When your camera takes a photo it stores the date and time the image was taken, along with a lot of other data. This info stays with the photo. All you need is to use a browser that displays it. I'm using ACDSee. I believe there are free viewers available on the web that show the metadata, or EXIF data that is stored with each photo.

Since you store your photos online, you could simply include the date in the name of the folder. For example, Ski Trip - January 2004. If you're not editting them, then the date you save them to your hard drive obviously is also an indication of when they were taken.

Or you could buy a cheap image editor and add text to each and every photo. You can buy editors for $30, probably even less. I think it would be a hassle to manually add the date to each photo though.

Spike

Thread Information