ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Morning light

Seb

Morning light

This is one of my very first shot with the D70 (Tamron XR Di lense), right this morning.

It was shoot in regular jpeg and it is straight out of the camera with no tweaks (i actually cropped and resized in Photoshop for this post).

speed: 1/125
    F/ 3.5
    ISO 200

The core of the main flower on the original jpeg isn't sharp to my liking but I have to get accustomed to the lense. Perhaps I was a tad to close from the subject to get optimal results.

regards

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Liz

Cool Hey there! Very Nice!

Your first photo here looks great on my little (LCD) monitor. I wish I could see it while I'm typing here to be more specific. Excellent color/contrast, sharp with good blur in the background. I'd like to see more. Very pleasing to the eye, Seb.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    This is one of my very first shot with the D70 (Tamron XR Di lense), right this morning.

It was shoot in regular jpeg and it is straight out of the camera with no tweaks (i actually cropped and resized in Photoshop for this post).

speed: 1/125
    F/ 3.5
    ISO 200

The core of the main flower on the original jpeg isn't sharp to my liking but I have to get accustomed to the lense. Perhaps I was a tad to close from the subject to get optimal results.

regards

Seb

Erstwhile Vagabond armed with camera Lionheart's Avatar

Cool

Nice bokah (did I get that right?) for f3.5. I gave up on Tamron lenses back in the old (2 yrs ago) film days, but maybe I'll look into them again. Very nice. Color balance looks great on my flat panel monitor. Looks like the D70 is a winner. Congrats on the new camera.

Looks great!

For right out of the camera this looks great. I'm on two waiting list for a D70 and am very anxious about it. The post processing thing is really scaring me to death. I am at best a very rank amateur with PS. I hope I will be able to rise to the challenge.

Me too.......

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    For right out of the camera this looks great. I'm on two waiting list for a D70 and am very anxious about it. The post processing thing is really scaring me to death. I am at best a very rank amateur with PS. I hope I will be able to rise to the challenge.
    I agree with you, the passion for photography these days are taking us down unfamiliar paths.

Is anyone concerned about the minimum ISO 200 on the D70, from a digital noise perspective?
    Happy to Photograph
    Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Norman
    Is anyone concerned about the minimum ISO 200 on the D70, from a digital noise perspective?
    I wasn't concerned about the ISO 200 from a noise perspective.. There's virtually none when shot under "normal" conditions. You do run into problems when you shoot long exposures (I'm talkng minutes, not seconds) though. My big "concern" with a minimum ISO of 200 is that I loved shooting Velvia (ISO 50) and a variety of ISO 100 films/slides and ISO 200 really makes it tough to get slow enough shutter speeds for motion blur in the middle of the day..

Other than that, I'm loving my D100!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    ND filter.......
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Seb
    Hi all,

Thanks for the great comments! Actually, I am fairly satisfied with the cropped and downsized result as you saw it. My concern with image quality is when looking at the original jpeg at it's full size (3008x2000). In that situation, the petals remain fairly detailled but the core of the flower is kinda bluried which I think is weird, especially considering that I have precisely focused on the core. Here is a crop of the core at it's real size to show you what I mean.

I realize that images at their real 3008x2000 size are quite large. They are significantly larger than what I am used to see on film as I have never tried to make that kind of enlargement to my pictures. Thus, I am not too sure what to expect quality wise.

Another picture (my dog) taken in a different environment at a greater distance with a smaller arperture seemed sharp even full size. Am I experimenting the limits of the lense, is there something wrong with the camera, am I just freaking out for nothing??? My lack of digital experience clearly show up here. I am not too sure what to expect....

To Norman and Old Timer, post processing worried and keep concerning me. The learning curve is there but according to my (very) short experience, post processing doesn't seem to be a must all the time.

regards

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.

NIce work with the D70. Post processing will become old hat once you get used to it. I still consider myself computer-stupid but have gotten to an OK level with Photoshop. Enjoy the camera.

Seb

I got it!

I shot the flowers one more time this morning, playing with focusing options, and I succeded to get the main flower core as sharp as I wanted (and when I say sharp, I really mean it!!). My bad, the hardware does deliver the goods!

regads

Seb

Like Charles said, you'll get used to it pretty quickly. Shoot the digital camera like you would slide film and you'll make your life easier later in post processing.

I've mentioned this book so many times that people probably think I get a commission on it, but Scott Kelby's "Photoshop for Digital Photographers" is very good, and written for photographers - not graphic arts people, etc.

Thread Information