ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Me a wedding photographer?

Hi all

Last night my daughter announced that she was engaged to her boyfriend! (That's the first of our four kids).

Although I am a minister it has always been uinderstood that I would not do the ceremony as it would mean I couldn't fully enjoy it. However, they are wanting to do it all on a budget so they asked my if I would be the photographer - I have a feeling that this will terrify me far more than marrying them!

They are hoping to get hitched before Christmas as the bf starts police training in January.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Re: Me a wedding photographer?

Congratulations Mike!!!
    But, doesn't that mean you won't be able to enjoy it being the photographer too?
    I know I didn't exactly feel like a guest at my Niece's wedding. My hubby stood on his own all day and I told him, "I'm sorry darling but Lou has hired me to do this".

Thanks Alison. I am not sure "hire" is the right word here - they couldn't afford to pay me, even if they wanted to (not that I would accept anything anyway!).

They are very much on a budget (he starts police training in January) so I doubt it will be formal in any sense - probably register office followed by pub back room. No special cars or anything. I imagine the photography will mostly be candids with a couple of formal ones thrown in.

Still, people spend too much on weddings sometimes anyway! The album will be my present, and my wife is paying for a nice dress and a night in a posh hotel for them.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

Congratulations! You don't have any friends that you could ask to take some pictures so you could enjoy the wedding? I would think you would enjoy the wedding much less doing the photography than performing the ceremony. At least if you were performing the wedding you could be part of it instead of just recording it on film. It will be challenging getting pictures of yourself at the wedding. Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike, I think you should do it. If not, it sounds as if there's a very good chance that they will have no pictures at all of their day. We went cheap on the photography way back when and I regret it every single day.

You'd be giving them a wonderful gift that they'll have forever. If the wedding isn't going to be a big to do, I suspect that you'll get more enjoyment looking at the photos years from now than you will in the couple hours the whole thing will last.

That's my $.02.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Maybe hired was a wrong choice of words then but you do feel like you are a hired photographer when you have to leave a loved one sitting alone while you capture the great times had by everyone. You should be in the candids too Mike and that won't happen unless you hand your camera over, but, as you know it takes alot of practice to learn how a camera works properly including where to focus.
    I know it sound like I am getting all technical but my husband and I aren't in any of the shots at the reception because I was constantly behind the cam.

Ken, I hear ya. We went budget on our wedding too. Didn't even know who could shoot my wedding for some pocket money. I had to rely on two people taking two of my point and shoots to capture the day. Don't get me wrong they did good for me but I am very much missing not having any formals, close ups of details, romantic shots etc, everything I believe wedding pictures should be.

I hate to volunteer him but Roger is pretty close to you in distance. Would he do a few formals for you, just at the wedding maybe?
    If I lived closer I would definitely do it for you! I think I am getting a taste for weddings :thumbsup:

When is the wedding, by the way?

Congratulations on your daughter's upcoming wedding. Whatever you decide to do, good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy the day whichever way you go.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Good point about being in some of the shots. We have no shots of my wife & I with my mother and father.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Thanks guys

I have no idea, at the moment, when it is likely to be, or precisely where. It will PROBABLY be Novemberish though, and will either be here in South London or, maybe, somewhere like Brighton (for the US people. that's right on the south coast of England about 60 miles due south of London). When I know I will post it - who knows, maybe one of you will be in the vicinity - Alison - judging from the splendid results of your last outing, I doubt anyone would mind at all if you "just happened" to show up

As for me being in the pics - well, the formals shouldn't be a problem. I use a Pentax K10D and I have a remote control for it. So - set it up on a tripod, get in the pic, and push the button from where I am - 3 seconds later "click"! Also, my wife doesn't take a bad pic, so she will get a few of me too no doubt.

As I said, we only got this news last night, so we still really don't have all the details.

One thing I DO know though, is that it will pretty well force me to get that proper Pentax dedicated flash I've been putting off getting

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    somewhere like Brighton (for the US people. that's right on the south coast of England about 60 miles due south of London).
    As immortalized in "Pinball Wizard" by The Who...

First off, congrats on your daughter's engagement! I can understand why you wouldn't want to perform the ceremony - it'll be a very busy and emotional day for all of you, and having to "work" would be very difficult. My first reaction was that being the photographer is an even worse idea, as a lot of times that can mean being behind the camera all day long and only seeing life thru the viewfinder. Not that it's any less work, but the minister's duties are usually finished (over here, anyway) after the service other than saying Grace at the reception if present. The photographer still has hours to go...

But - if hiring a photographer isn't an option then maybe this will work. Candids and a few formals shouldn't take you - father of the bride - away from too much, and could be fun. It would be great if there were one or more other people that you could count on to help you with this, but I think you'll be fine. No doubt you'd have a camera there anyway even if someone was hired to shoot. You have more of a relationship with your daughter than someone that you would hire, and this could mean that you'll get some great candids because of it. Let us know how it goes!

another view

Thank you very much

It will be fun, I know .. the only real problem will be the few shots outside before the ceremony as she also wants to be "given away" and I can't do that as well as photograph it, so I will have to delegate that anyway.

Also, about the only thing she HAS decided is that the principal men will all be dressed in formal kilts!!!!!

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Congrats to both you as a father, and being picked to be the photographer. I did my first wedding this past weekend and had a blast, since I knew the bride.

Did it free as well.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Looks like being Nov 17th .. thanks again all for your good thoughts.

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

Congrats and good luck to you all!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

One thing I DO know though, is that it will pretty well force me to get that proper Pentax dedicated flash I've been putting off getting

Cheers
    Mike[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking you're not too broken up about that.
    One thing I know is your daughter will have some nice photos, judging from what I've seen of your work.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Mike,

Just found this - Congrats to the happy couple and what an honour to be asked to be the photographer.

I saw Alison volunteered me and I would be happy to help but work in November is a bit hectic. Once you now more about the definate date and time and if you need help give me a call and I'll see what I can do.

I haven't done weddings since I was 25 so may be a bit rusty.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information