ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Losing the moment....

This morning was an amazing day...foggy, cold and everything was covered in hore frost! I had my camera and found something that excited me, so I snapped the shot I wanted.

I get home, downloaded it and liked it but there was one little detail...the depth of field was too short and there is a slight out of focus spot where the wire wraps around the post. Damn!

So I get my bike and rush out to redo the pic using a smaller stop. However, the scene changed before I got there! Just enough that IMO, it lost the original character and even though the photo was technically better, it is less satisfying.

Proof that the moment is what it's all about! (but then neither of these pix might move you they way they did me;)).

Nice Example

Rich-
    Nice post. Oh my God! I am so funny. I crack myself up

But seriously now, folks. I know what you mean. It happens to me all the time. I rarely go back to try to redo a photo. But I do check focus on my LCD most of the time. Unfortunately, a lot of the time it's impossible to tell until I see the images on the computer. And I end up with a lot of images, like this one, where the depth-of-field or focus aren't quite exactly what I'd like. In fact, it's something I've been trying to pay more attention to.

As for these two images, I can see whay you like the first one better. I'm curious about something. What's the big white space in the upper right of the second photo? It doesn't make sense to me. Was there something in the background that moved? If that white area wasn't there, the second one might have worked. What's missing, in my opinion, is the separattion between the white frost and the dark background.

Nice photos, regardless of the imperfection. I am always trying to accept the imperfection in my photography. You use the tools and experience you have, make the best image you can, hope for the best, learn from your mistakes, and move on. And a nod to you for actually going back when you realized the problem. That's hard to do. And that's a sign of a really dedicated photographer.

Last but not least, did you notice that your ice photo was chosen as the gallery's Featured Photo, last week? It will be in the Featured Photo Archive from now on. Thanks for sharing it. I think it's a great photo.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Re: Losing the moment....

To be honest, I like the first one......a lot. Yes, I see the "imperfection" but it's still a really nice photo - one worth hanging IMO.

I love the color and of course, the frost.

Liz

Another Look

I just took another look at the two photos. The vertical angle appears to be a few degrees or inches different. I think that's why the white area is in the upper right of the second photo. Getting the exact same background might have made a huge difference. Of course, that would have been really, really, really hard to do. I still think you rule for going back and trying to make it right.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I too like this a lot Rich. Eventhough the scene changed I'll be willing to bet you'll think a little more about the DOF the next time you shoot.

For me, I take away from your "post": Take your camera more places and shoot shoot shoot.

Comments

Thanks for the good words people...some followup:

Liz, Exactly..I agree...I like the first one a lot better, despite the little area that bugs me, and that is the best way to look at it...It's about the overall feel and not the details.

John, There are four things happening here: You pointed out one of them--the angle changed.

1. I tried squaring up the camera the second time to make sure everything was in the same plane and could not remember the original angles...so the building in the background got shifted to the left!

2. The fog lightened and although subtle, there is a little more visibility that might contribute to variations in the background!

3. I decreased the stop and that increased the focus of the background just a tad--and consequently, made objects in the background start to show their character.

4. The frost evaporated on the post and completley changed the feel of the scene.

And like you said Brian, I am more conscientious of my depth of field and will bracket more shots when I do open aperature shots like this. I still have some issues with my D70 in this regard that I am still learning--in particular with sports shots and keeping the focus on the subject.

PS: John, -blushing- Thanks for the recognition on the ice pic in the gallery section. It's an odd pic and I though it might disturb people, being so bizaare. Never know how people react to what you do. Hope someday we can ride together BTW!
    Last edited by lidarman; 01-03-2005 at 10:31 PM.

Ghost

Re: Comments

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    4. The frost evaporated on the post and completley changed the feel of the scene.
    Bingo. I knew someone would comment eventually I think the evaporated frost is the most important quality that was lost on the retake. I'm thinking that if you like this photo enough you might as well attempt a digital salvation

The first one is a really nice shot. In comparing the first and second shots, right away I noticed that there was less frost and agree that that changed the feeling - and the background isn't as good. Backgrounds are very important, the more simple the shot is, the more important it becomes.

Actually, I have to admit that I looked at it for a while before I noticed the DOF issue. The feel of the shot always is more important than minor technical problems, IMO. Nice work!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You Go Rich!

Glad to see that you are seeing! Photographically that is!
    I am also glad that you are posting here, I hope to see more from you here.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information