ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Local Mississippi scenery

These are a few shot that I took today a few miles from where I live, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Local Mississippi scenery-_dsc3279.jpg   Local Mississippi scenery-_dsc3327.jpg   Local Mississippi scenery-_dsc3335.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Local Mississippi scenery

Jeff, interesting images - almost monotone, except for the sky. Have you tried converting these to black and white and increasing the saturation and/or contrast a bit? There is, however, something that is missing in the coloured ones, at least for me, - not sure that the saturation doesn't need a little tweaking and maybe the contrast as well - what did you use to edit these with. Just curious...thanks for sharing.

Regards,

WesternGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WesternGuy
    Jeff, interesting images - almost monotone, except for the sky. Have you tried converting these to black and white and increasing the saturation and/or contrast a bit? There is, however, something that is missing in the coloured ones, at least for me, - not sure that the saturation doesn't need a little tweaking and maybe the contrast as well - what did you use to edit these with. Just curious...thanks for sharing.

Regards,

WesternGuy
    I used Photoshop CS5 to edit but I will have to say that I did very little too them. They look identical to what it looked like when I took the picture, Basically the only color other than the brown tones were the sky and clouds, Jeff

I have never tried converting a picture to B&W so I don't think it came out very well. If you want to give it a try and show me, go ahead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Local Mississippi scenery-b_dsc3335.jpg  

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jeff, I like the B&W conversion, I might be tempted to increase the contrast and saturation a bit, but if you don't mind me taking a shot at your images, then I will pick one and "experiment" with it for a few days. Thanks for the invitation.

Regards,

WesternGuy

Jeff, I like the B&W conversion, I might be tempted to increase the contrast and saturation a bit, but if you don't mind me taking a shot at your images, then I will pick one and "experiment" with it for a few days. Thanks for the invitation.

Regards,

WesternGuy
    Go ahead and give it a try. If you can let me know what you did so I can learn how to do this better. I haven't tried converting to B&W before and I know there must be more to it than just removing the color and adding contrast, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Go ahead and give it a try. If you can let me know what you did so I can learn how to do this better. I haven't tried converting to B&W before and I know there must be more to it than just removing the color and adding contrast, Jeff
    Jeff, here are a couple of my B/W conversions of the original which is re-posted below for comparison. The first one (B/W) was created using a gradient layer and then upping the contrast to 15 to darken it up a bit. The second one was done by applying a red filter preset and then adjusting the filter components: Red 50, Yellow 50, G -10, Cyan -50, Blue 25 and Magenta 120. I really just played with these filter presets until I got something that I liked, of course, this doesn't mean everyone will like them, but as you can imagine, you can play with this sort of thing for a long time and not please everyone. I picked the red filter because it gave me the best reflection of the sky and clouds in the water - the mods to the filter settings were just tweakings to darken a few things and lighten others, consequently the red filter one has a little more detail in the sky and isn't quite as dark in the bottom half. All were done in CS5. Hope you like them.

Regards,

WesternGuy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Local Mississippi scenery-jeff_dsc3327.jpg   Local Mississippi scenery-jeff_dsc3327bwg2.jpg   Local Mississippi scenery-jeff_dsc3327rf1.jpg  

Western Guy you inspired me to give it another try. I think this one is a little better than my first attempt. Thanks for showing me your version and getting me to try again, Jeff

I noticed this is not the same exact picture but one about a frame away from the one I originally posted but I still think it is an improvement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Local Mississippi scenery-_dsc3335_2.jpg  

Jeff, I like your conversion and the additional texture you revealed in the clouds. I'd still like to see the distant trees a little darker and more contrasting, but it is nice as is.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Jeff, looking good. Again, you can "play" with these things until the proverbial cows come home and you are never going to please everyone. I gave up trying a long time ago. Glad I could help and inspire you to have another shot at it - how did you do this one...just curious.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Jeff, looking good. Again, you can "play" with these things until the proverbial cows come home and you are never going to please everyone. I gave up trying a long time ago. Glad I could help and inspire you to have another shot at it - how did you do this one...just curious.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
    Mainly adjusting the shadows and highlights, Jeff

n8

I really like that last one you posted. It almost has an infrared feel to it.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Jeff,
    As WesternGuy suggested the gradient map will almost always give you a better B&W conversion than simply converting to grayscale and it's really easy to use - one click
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Local Mississippi scenery-gradient_map.jpg  

Thread Information