ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

I need some help fast!!! SteveLutz?? Anyone??

http://forums.consumerreview.com/crf...Uzt.1@.efe363e

What kind of film did SteveLutz use for this? I was thinking I read somewhere it was TMAX 3200 - is this right?? If so, is that the same as TMAX P3200 ?? I need to order some of this today and want to make sure I get the right stuff! Also, I see that Ilford offers this as well. Are there any advantages of one over the other???

He shot that with his 10D.

Get the ilford stuff, less grain, better tones. Unless you want grain, then get kodak.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

The 10D of course being digital. If you can get by with 1600, try the Kodak 3200 (set camera at 1600) and have the lab develop it that way. Works pretty good for me.

Steve,

Ilford is smoother across the board than Kodak, at every ISO I shot it at (800-3200). And at 3200 it's actually somwhat usable, whereas Kodak starts to look like a 70s horror movie...

Don't get me wrong, I shot a LOT more Kodak than Ilford,s imply because I like all those negative qualities, the grain, the contrast, etc. But if you want the best possible shot at those light levels, choosing between the two I would recommend the Ilford.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Ilford Delta 3200 is worlds better than TMax 3200, in my opinion. As Sebastian said, the tones are smoother and the grain tighter and looks pretty good at 3200, though ideal speed is around 1600.

You know, I keep hearing so many good things about it that I'm just going to have to try it. Charles has said so much about Delta 100 and I haven't even tried that yet. I've just stuck with Kodak because I can get their chemistry locally but I guess D76 is very similar to Ilford's standard developer.

I'll 4th using Ilford 3200. I used D-76 (which is the same formula as Ilford ID-11) full strength at ISO 1600 with good results. Check out The Massive Dev Chart it has recommended times (sometimes different than manuf recommended times) for just about every B&W film. Just find your film on the column on the left. It will give times on 3200 for multiple ISO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Widen
    I'll 4th using Ilford 3200. I used D-76 (which is the same formula as Ilford ID-11) full strength at ISO 1600 with good results. Check out The Massive Dev Chart it has recommended times (sometimes different than manuf recommended times) for just about every B&W film. Just find your film on the column on the left. It will give times on 3200 for multiple ISO's.
    Thanks, Gerry - I'm about to mix my first batch of D-76. Normally, I guess it would be diluted 1:1 for Tri-X, etc. By full strength, do you mean 1:1 or just using the stock solution?

Full strength is use it as it is after you mix it. Of course waiting for the temperature to get down to 68 deg or so. You should toss it after you use it.

Talking Thanks everyone.

I went ahead and ordered some of both!!

Thread Information