ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Good news on two fronts...

make that three...first, I got my Macintosh back up running but found out that one of my two hard drives crashed. I'm taking it in tomorrow and hoping that they'll be able to save the data and install it onto a new hard drive. Fortunately, my internet and email are on the volume that works so I'm able to post tonight.

Secondly, there's a possibility I might become a photo stringer for a small local newspaper called The Acorn. They pay $30 per job, at two or three job batches at a time, and they can work around my schedule. They said they will take a look at my online gallery and let me know. Naturally, it's not the money but the experience that will be a plus in my book. So I'm really hoping they'll call me and add me on.

Third, I bought my daughter a Rebel Ti body today and added to it a Sigma AF 28-80 Mini Zoom Macro lens (just like mine). Just in time for our vacation that's coming a week and a half from now. She's been needing a really good film camera and is jazzed now that she has one. I'm looking forward to posting some of her pictures, or having her post them, after we get back from vacation.

Ray
    Last edited by schrackman; 06-25-2004 at 09:32 AM.

Congrats, congrats and congrats!

I hope they can salvage some, if not all, the lost data.

I've seen your work, I'm sure The Acorn will add you to their ranks.

And finally, you should have bought her a Nikon.

Check your e-mail. I finally checked mail at the address you sent Sunday's e-mail to and sent you a reply tonight. Better late than never, right?

Also, I hope you enjoy your trip back to Yosemite. Where will you be staying this time? It will be interesting to see how the seasons have changed is and I'm looking forward to seeing how you photograph some of the same scenes differently.

Tell Claudia the boys and I say hi.
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Congrads, Ray! I'm sure you'll do well with the paper. I'm doing the same thing with a weekly here, and there are a lot of advantages to doing this. The experience is good - you have to come back with something, you can't put the camera away because the light isn't very good or you're not into it, etc. You're getting your work published, probably thousands of copies and people see your name with it.

Good luck with the computer, sounds like it might have been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    I hope they can salvage some, if not all, the lost data.

I've seen your work, I'm sure The Acorn will add you to their ranks.

And finally, you should have bought her a Nikon.

Check your e-mail. I finally checked mail at the address you sent Sunday's e-mail to and sent you a reply tonight. Better late than never, right?

Also, I hope you enjoy your trip back to Yosemite. Where will you be staying this time? It will be interesting to see how the seasons have changed is and I'm looking forward to seeing how you photograph some of the same scenes differently.

Tell Claudia the boys and I say hi.
    ~Brian
    Thanks Brian. And yes, I did get your email and I appreciate the information. I'll need one before we head out to Yosemite, that's for sure. This time we'll be staying at the Day's Inn, where Gene and Penny stayed, and just travel on up every day like we did. I'm looking forward to Tuolome meadows again...the ranger said summertime is when the flowers really bloom there!

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Congrads, Ray! I'm sure you'll do well with the paper. I'm doing the same thing with a weekly here, and there are a lot of advantages to doing this. The experience is good - you have to come back with something, you can't put the camera away because the light isn't very good or you're not into it, etc. You're getting your work published, probably thousands of copies and people see your name with it.

Good luck with the computer, sounds like it might have been worse.
    Thanks. I haven't heard back yet from the paper yet but I'll let ya'll know if I do.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Dear Ray:

I was hoping you'd cut loose and buy a new Mac G5 -- but I DO know you better than that

Congrats to Mel for getting a new camera. I'm looking forward to seeing her work. She's going to love photographing Yosemite!

AND, congrats to you on the Acorn job. Is it THIS Acorn? Very cool!

Take care and hold down the fort while we're in Mammoth this weekend.

Best to You,
    Penny
    A G5?? You must think I'm rich, hehe. Well, depending on how much it'll cost to fix my old mac, I just may opt for a new G4. We'll see.

And yes, that is the paper, but it's the Simi Valley branch.

Have fun in Mammoth, and I expect to see some awesome photos when you get back.

Ray

A bit of advice...

Don't do what the Bowhays and Liles' did the day you left for home.. After you left Saturday evening we all decided to drive into Lee Vining for dinner. By the time we got there and finished our meals it was close to 10:00PM and we still had a 2.5 to 3 hour drive back to our lodgings. Man was that a LONG drive, especially since our tummys were full!!!

How long are you going to be there this time?
    ~B
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

make that three

HOORAYS! sounds like good thing come in threes

Have a great second vacation...

Gee maybe we need a separate forum for PR member's children's photo forum.

what didi I say? say three times fast!!
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    Don't do what the Bowhays and Liles' did the day you left for home.. After you left Saturday evening we all decided to drive into Lee Vining for dinner. By the time we got there and finished our meals it was close to 10:00PM and we still had a 2.5 to 3 hour drive back to our lodgings. Man was that a LONG drive, especially since our tummys were full!!!

How long are you going to be there this time?
    ~B
    hehe, that's what you get for letting your tummies overrule your common sense, LOL. But as Gene and Penny will tell you, food comes first for me too.

We will be there for THREE days this time and I plan to see a bit more of the Tioga Rd, although we plan on also doing some horseback riding and canoeing as well.

Well, it looks like I will have to get a new Mac. No sense getting a new hardrive on my old one since it will cost about $300 for parts and labor and transferring of data. Might as well put that money into a new computer and be up to date. I've got my eyes on a 1.25Ghz G4 with 1GB of memory, which should only be about 4-5 times faster than my old 8600 Powermac.

Ray

Thread Information