ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Good news and uh-oh!

Today I picked up my new business cards - they look great thanks to a friend who's a graphic arts guy. We worked out a deal for a trade of services rather than me paying him (which is rather expensive). Since I'm leaving for a workshop tomorrow morning, I wanted to have them to take with - which I told him in January when we started working on it. Nothing like deadlines to get something done!

The printer asked me about my photography - what I do, etc. He has clients that are looking for complete services thru him, like brochures and catalogs, and wants to see my portfolio of product shots. The "uh-oh" part of the title is that I don't have a portfolio of this stuff! I've done enough of it that I'm not too worried about it, but nothing portfolio grade. Guess that's project #1 when I get back...

Anyone out there have any suggestions for a portfolio - what kind of products I should shoot, stick to a theme? I'll shoot it digitally but don't have much lighting equipment (two camera-mount strobes, reflector).

Liz

Cool That's GREAT news IMO!

All it takes it just one chance - one "giant" step. Sounds really good. I can't help with the portfolio However, I can say how happy I am for you.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Today I picked up my new business cards - they look great thanks to a friend who's a graphic arts guy. We worked out a deal for a trade of services rather than me paying him (which is rather expensive). Since I'm leaving for a workshop tomorrow morning, I wanted to have them to take with - which I told him in January when we started working on it. Nothing like deadlines to get something done!

The printer asked me about my photography - what I do, etc. He has clients that are looking for complete services thru him, like brochures and catalogs, and wants to see my portfolio of product shots. The "uh-oh" part of the title is that I don't have a portfolio of this stuff! I've done enough of it that I'm not too worried about it, but nothing portfolio grade. Guess that's project #1 when I get back...

Anyone out there have any suggestions for a portfolio - what kind of products I should shoot, stick to a theme? I'll shoot it digitally but don't have much lighting equipment (two camera-mount strobes, reflector).

Sorry, I can't offer any advice on product shot portfolios. So which workshop? Where? What? How long?

Details please.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dennis - I'm going to the Texas School of Professional Photography. It's put on by the PPA. I'm not sure that I want to go the PPA route, but I think that here in Rockford it's a good idea to be able to shoot a little bit of everything. There are no strictly commercial shooters here in town, they all shoot weddings and portraits too. Since posing and lighting are two things I know very little about, it should be very helpful.

Liz - thanks for the encouragement.

Liz

Cool Nice Avatar BTW

Just forgot to say that

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Dennis - I'm going to the Texas School of Professional Photography. It's put on by the PPA. I'm not sure that I want to go the PPA route, but I think that here in Rockford it's a good idea to be able to shoot a little bit of everything. There are no strictly commercial shooters here in town, they all shoot weddings and portraits too. Since posing and lighting are two things I know very little about, it should be very helpful.

Liz - thanks for the encouragement.

I won't tell you much about product shots, but I recently put together a portfolio. It was on PJ's advice, nonetheless, and it did net me my biggest paying job yet - though I really don't want to work that much in my spare time

My advice is to go to an art store and find the nicest leather one you can. Use at least a 9x12. Mine 11x14. I chose 11x14 even though most the prints are 9x12. I mount the prints on the black paper that comes with inserts. This gives a nice border which, IMO, looks cleaner and give the advantage of not always needing 9x12's (or more precisely, 8x10's and other crops look dumb not fitting in the sleeve). Also, being the they're behind plastic, prints from an inkjet on OK paper work just fine.

What's interesting a co-worker just asked me about wedding photographers. He noticed most are pretty bad (imagine that). I told him to review people portfolios and make sure they show you large prints. It's too easy to make small web shots look great. A good enlargement tells the real story.

Good luck,

Mike

That's awesome news. Have a great trip and come back safe with some excellent bits of info.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information