ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    My name is Alex, not Eric ;)

Getting slide film developed in Sacramento area

Are there any reasonable priced photo labs in the greater Sacramento area that develop regular 35mm slide film? I really don't trust the local 1hour photo place with my roll of Velvia. I live in Lincoln so I prefer places in the Roseville area but if there is a place closer to or in Sac that does a really good job I'll make the trip.

This will be my first roll of slides so I'm hopeing for the best

Re: Getting slide film developed in Sacramento area

Can't help you locally, but I can tell you it's getting harder to find all over the country. I had a local place that did it (years ago there were two) but their quality slipped so much that I had to stop using them. They might not do it anymore for all I know. When I shoot slides lately, I've sent them off to Photocraft in Colorado.

some costcos will do it.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

misanthrope

You know, if all you want is your slides processed and mounted and you're not going to stand next to the technician and watch him work, and you don't need a clip test or anything, you might consider using the Fuji pre-paid mailer system. There are no labs in my area so I send my slide film out. It takes about two weeks and costs $4 per mailer (plus a stamp) from B&H. I buy my slide film from there, so when I order film I also order the proper number of mailers. It's much cheaper than paying retail prices for film and processing. If I drove three hours (round trip) down to Eureka for film and processing it would cost like $25 per roll ($10-$12 for film, $15 for same-day unmounted processing), whereas now I pay $8 ($4 for film, $4 for the mailer). Big difference.
    Now, I wish I could recall who was used a couple years back for the JACC (Journalism Association of Community Colleges) seminars held at the Doubletree in the Cal-Expo area. I don't live in Sacto anymore (not for 14 years!), but the JACC used one processor for all the photo competitions that invovled film shooters. I want to say Evergreen, but I'm not sure. It was three years ago. I figured they were good if the JACC trusted them with a couple hundred rolls of students' print film to be processed same-day...
    Good luck!
    -O-
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Thread Information