ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Friday Night Lights

A few from Friday nights football game. I used the Canon 75-300 USM that I just got, overall I am not happy with the lens and I am exchanging it for the Tamron in the same range.

Attached Images Attached Images     
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Re: Friday Night Lights

A few more. What do you think of the last one? I kind of like the blur (which was caused in part by me running backwards to get out of the way)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Good job! Those are pretty nice looking, though, if I may suggest, next time try and take them straight on (every one of those pictures is at an angle).

I like the 4th and 5th shots. The 4th is cool because it shows who the qb is going to and the 5th one because it looks like your right there on the field with the defense guy.

Some nice images here Stina. I like the your shots of the QB and the reciever in the forground. However I'm not crazy about the the blurred back of the rieciver. Just personal taste on that one. Some nice colors that's not always easy at a night game.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I really like the 4th images. They are all nice shots in action. The panning effect was a very nice addition.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Andrew Osterberg
    Going Beyond Digital Photography

Thanks for taking a look and the comments. I am lucky that our stadium is well lit so I usually get pretty good color. I just got in the Tamron lens yesterday and so far it seems sharper than the Canon. The auto focus is a little slower that the Canon USM was but until this year I shot football with a manual focus camera so I think I can make due with it.

Hmmm, a Tamron sharper than a Canon? Sounds fishy to me. Maybe your auto focus is out of whack. What body is it?
    I just sent my 1D in for service to adjust the auto focus, it was so bad no lens would focus unless you were in manual and that wasn't the best, especially for sports.

JS

I have the Rebel XT and so far no focus problems with any other lens. I have other Canon lens that I am very happy with a 85 f1.8 and 50 f1.8 but I also have a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 that I get much better results with than with my kit lens from the Rebel XT. I think that the Canon 75-300 is just not one of Canon's better lens but I guess time will tell with the Tamron 75-300. I did use it (the Canon) in more favorable conditions than the night football game but just wasn't happy with results. The photos were in focus but just not very sharp. Oh well maybe next year I can afford the 70-200 f2.8 L.

A little note for Cannon users - If you use NON-Canon lenses on Canon bodies it WILL knock your auto focus out of whack.... thats why my 1D is in for repairs
    The tech working on it called, and without me saying my one lens wasn't a Canon told me to use Canon lenses as this is the cause. Something in the voltages is different . Oh well, I was planning on buying two lenses anyway....

Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    A little note for Cannon users - If you use NON-Canon lenses on Canon bodies it WILL knock your auto focus out of whack....
    That sounds fishy to me. I'm going to try to confirm that. As for sharpness, I just got the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di and it's really, really nice. It's much sharper and has better bokeh than my Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. I also got a smokin deal on it
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Hmmmm

I had a Tamron and a Vivitar lens when I first got my 1D. After a very short time both had loose barrels and needed to be sent in under warranty TWICE! I finally had one of them get junked shooting basketball (mount broke) and the other I sold, along with a Canon 75-300 that was less than adequate for my needs.
    The only non Canon lens I have had that wasn't a problem was the Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

JS

Thread Information