ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Flash repair $160

So I dropped my Speedlite 420EX while loading it on my bike one time, and it started whirring and acting funny after that. Finally sent it off to a local Canon repair center as my usual shop closed down, and I received their estimate today - $160!!! This is a $180 flash, people... so I'm getting it back and selling it on eBay (as is; I'll specify it needs repair, of course) and recoup a little cash from it, and buy me a new one.... or, get me the 550EX... hmmm...

Anyway, just venting a little. Does this sound like an outrageous price or what? Who would blow that much on repairing a used flash when a new one is only $20 more? lol And I can just pick one up at a local shop, instead of having to wait till the repaired one gets sent back.

Note to self: Be more careful when loading the gear onto the bike, lol.
    "It is time to live like the wind and then to die like thunder."

www.gabriel-diaz.com

Re: Flash repair $160

that's like trying to reapir my 2 megapixel three years ago...it cost me $100 and it was going to cost 139 to fix it... for $50 bucks more I got a Dimage g500 at 5 megapixels...repairs boggle the mind sometimes...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I had a Sunpak AF4000 with similar problems and repair prices. Got it back, went to my work bench and with a little super glue on a gear and some soldering it works good as new. I don't know what I did, but I did it good.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

When my Canon Rebel G got wet a year ago, after tipping over our canoe, I had to send it in to get repaired. I think the estimate was around $130 or so. I could have bought a new, upgraded model for not much more than that. It's still sitting in the box I had them ship it back to me in. I wonder if they are really that expensive to fix, or if they price them that way so you just buy something new...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

NIKON and CANON have a minimum cost for repairs..... and you just found out what canon's is ;)

I broke the shoes mount? off my nikon flash and though the job was quite easy and part wasn't too expensive.... $165

That bill was paid by the person who broke it, so I didn't fix it myself for 1/3 the cost ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I had one of my lens break on me, the aperature blades came loose, it was an old MC mount lens. When I investigated getting it repaired, the cost was about $200, I could buy a new one for that much. So again I just tossed the lens and waited, trolling ebay and classified ads, ended up getting my Vivitar 85-205mm zoom for $55 cdn. Then just in may the Kiron 70-150mm along with two other lens from $57 cdn.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

That sounds like a minimum repair charge to me too. That's just how they work - but if it is only the hot shoe mount and you're handy with a soldering iron, you might be able to DIY.

I had a similar story last fall with a lens - I chipped the front element. It wasn't bad, but I didn't want to use it that way either. I kept it around for a backup when I had some jobs booked because it worked. It was worth about $180 used in good condition, and the repair would cost $180. I finally decided to sell it on ebay because I was tired of looking at it. Got $95 for it.

I snapped my shoe mount off my old Nikon flash, a piece of plastic, $160 to fix.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

HEY! I paid $5 more than you... but my repair was 5 days from sending it out to receiving it back ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information