ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    learning member

Talking D70: This Things Amazing!

I havent gone out just to shoot in a long, long time.Heres a couple more from my new "toy".
    The first 1 i've been thinking about since fall. I knew it wouldnt be great. Maybe better at dusk or dawn. An unseen bonous is the flag.
    The second cought my eye tonight going for some lunch at work. I cant believe how vivid it is.
    #1, iso 800 1 1/3 sec f8 sraight from the camera except resize. #2 iso 200 15sec f8 aouto levels ps el 2.
    Last edited by mdmc; 04-10-2007 at 02:41 AM.

Talking Cool Shots

Quote Originally Posted by mdmc
    I havent gone out just to shoot in a long, long time.Heres a couple more from my new "toy".
    The first 1 i've been thinking about since fall. I knew it wouldnt be great. Maybe better at dusk or dawn. An unseen bonous is the flag.
    The second cought my eye tonight going for some lunch at work. I cant believe how vivid it is.
    #1, iso 800 1 1/3 sec f8 sraight from the camera except resize. #2 iso 200 15sec f8 aouto levels ps el 2.

I've been impressed with the colors from the D70, but this is the first time I've seen someone give one a workout at night and/or in low light. I'm also amazed at how well it does.

Now go out on a clear night and point it at the stars. Something in the 28mm - 50mm range. Try f1.8 or f2.0 for 10, 20, and 30 seconds. Orion is in the southern sky this time of year and makes a great target for a 50mm lens.

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing...cle_1220_1.asp

Thanks for sharing these with us. I love them.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

learning member

Talking Re: D70: This Things Amazing!

Thanks Speed,
    Needed a slap on the back.
    Mark.
    BTW 25 degrees is real cold after 5 mins of handling cam and tripod w/out gloves.

Re: Cool Shots

Lovely shots and glad to see someone else behind the D70. I went from a Cannon G2 to the D70 and loved the colors.. those are some lovely night shots for just out of the box. Look forward to seeing more as you get to know your new camera...

The D70 has a bulb setting for shooting night time sky but unlike the D100 it doesn't have a mechanical execution via an extension on the shutter. Can you get a remote for this!?

Cheers.
    P.
    "You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Author Unknown"
    PAULSVEDA.com
    My Blog

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    ]Now go out on a clear night and point it at the stars. Something in the 28mm - 50mm range. Try f1.8 or f2.0 for 10, 20, and 30 seconds. Orion is in the southern sky this time of year and makes a great target for a 50mm lens.
    Have you seen this site? http://astrosurf.com/buil/us/test/test.htm
    Nikon lens adapter for Canon EOS body
    Canon EOS 20D vs Canon 10D
    Nikon D70: IR blocking filter removal procedures and performances
    Test of the Canon EF 400 mm f/5.6L lens
    Canon 10D / Nikon D70 comparison test for deep-sky astronomy
    Image quality review of some photographic lens
    Evaluation of the Canon EOS 10/300D for astronomical use

Lots of interesting stuff for astrophotography.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.S.
    Can you get a remote for this!?
    P.
    Absolutely. Back in my film days, I got the Nikon remote to use with my F65. The very same remote works flawlessly with my D70. Actually, I am pretty sure that Nikon have one single remote which work with all their recent cameras.

Seb

Seb

Re: D70: This Things Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by mdmc
    Hi there,

Congrats for the new camera! With a decent tripod you can actually go down to ISO 200 for pretty much any kind of night shooting and you will get gorgeous noiseless pictures (without using the noise cancelling feature).

Have a good time with the D70!!

Seb

learning member

Re: D70: This Things Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hi there,

Congrats for the new camera! With a decent tripod you can actually go down to ISO 200 for pretty much any kind of night shooting and you will get gorgeous noiseless pictures (without using the noise cancelling feature).

Have a good time with the D70!!

Seb
    Thank's Seb, I spent a good half hour trying to open the menu to show all 20 some items so I could set self timer to 2 sec. I turned the iso up to 800 because after taking the first rail shot I turned around to shoot in the opposite direction and it was a much darker scene. It was so cold, 25degF, that I didn't bother trying to use the self timer,or change the iso back to 200.
    I did get the menu opened,i'm not sure how, but its still open.
    Maybe next time,
    Mark

Thanks Seb!!
    "You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Author Unknown"
    PAULSVEDA.com
    My Blog

Thread Information