Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

D70 Lens Questions!

I just purchased a Nikon D70 Outfit from Ritz Camera this morning. For me this is the start of the long path of Photography. I want to get serious in photography so I bought a Digital SLR and through many hours of reading I found the Nikon D70 suited me best.

I have had many cameras but with this being the top dog of the others. Now I did have a few questions. I am particular new to lenes. Now I have a few questions.

First, what is the difference between a telephoto and zoom lens? (By the way, I was pretty amazed when I saw that Nikkor 1700mm Zoom Lens! I figured out how some people take pictures of those Tigers up so close.)

Second, what filters do you recommened for the D70? I want a filter that will not only protect the lens from dirt and dust but that will do something like the polarized filter and which kind would you recommend I get.

Third, I was looking into the Nikon Nikkor Fisheye lens for some creative shots. What are your guys opinions on this lens?

Forth and foremost, a Macro lens. I love shooting things close up and I need a good Macro lens for the D70 for under $500. Let me know what you guys recommend.

THANKS!

Re: D70 Lens Questions!

Good choice on the D70, you won't be disappointed...

First off, a zoom lens is just any lens with a variable focal length...the D70 kit lens is an 18-70mm zoom lens...A telephoto lens is basically just any lens with a reasonably long focal length, there may be a real definition, but I think most lenses over about 100mm or so are considered telephoto, but I'm sure it just depends on who you ask...

For filters, you definitely want a polarizer. Hoya are pretty good, and reasonably priced, but there are tons of other brands. A Neutral Density filter is also a pretty good one to have. UV filters are kind of a waste of time and money, but you might want to have one for the odd sand or snowstorm you may encounter...

For the fisheye and macro, I can't offer much help....

Quote Originally Posted by DownByFive
    Good choice on the D70, you won't be disappointed...

First off, a zoom lens is just any lens with a variable focal length...the D70 kit lens is an 18-70mm zoom lens...A telephoto lens is basically just any lens with a reasonably long focal length, there may be a real definition, but I think most lenses over about 100mm or so are considered telephoto, but I'm sure it just depends on who you ask...

For filters, you definitely want a polarizer. Hoya are pretty good, and reasonably priced, but there are tons of other brands. A Neutral Density filter is also a pretty good one to have. UV filters are kind of a waste of time and money, but you might want to have one for the odd sand or snowstorm you may encounter...

For the fisheye and macro, I can't offer much help....
    Thanks! What is the difference between a Neutral Density Filter and a Polarizer? Which should I get? Both? Where should I get them and which kinds should I get?

Thanks!!!

If a Netural Density Filter does this...

Then how do you say "I gotta get me one ah those"!

Neutral density filters just make things darker without affecting color, so you can use slower shutter speeds...Polarizers actually block out certain types of light waves, namely light that is reflected, because it has different properties than diffused light, so colors are more saturated and reflection and glare are minimized. So using a polarizer, you also get a darker image and can use slower shutter speeds. You can even use them both at the same time if you want it really dark...

A note on Polarizers- there are 2 types, linear and circular. Linear are the original kind, and polarize light waves in a linear fashion as they pass through the filter. When autofocus cameras came about, the earlier AF line sensors would get screwed up when using them so the circular ones came about, and they polarize light waves in a cork screw sort of way, not interfering with the line sensors. Now after a good 20 years of development in AF sensors, they really won't be messed up by Linear polarizers. The thing is, the circular ones are being pushed way more- and they are way more expensive. So if you get one, which I highly recommend you do, get a Linear. They polarize light much more effectively, won't screw with your Af system, and cost 3 times less.

Since you have the kit lens, consider getting low profile filters- ones with the slim rings as you will run into vingetting if you use more than one filter at the widest focal length.

Also one more thing- Anything over 50mm is consider telephoto. 45-50mm approximates the same field of vision that one eyeball sees, and therefore anything above is telephoto, anything below 45 is wide angle.

I also meant to comment on lenses:
    The Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8 is sharp, has almost no pincushion distortion, and will focus down to about 8.75", and will give you a 1:1 reproduction ratio (lifesize on film). Should be around $350, and I think there are rebates still on it. The 105mm is good as well, but can't focus nearly as close and makes it more limited in my opinion.

The 10.5mm Nikkor is new to me, I'd love one, and it seems to be of the same design as the 16mm fisheye which is a great lens. I owned the 14mm f2.8 Nikkor, that thing was freaking awesome (kicking myself for selling it!).

Always the best way to see what you like- try em out! Find a local camera store that will let you try it on for size. I used to run a local Ritz competitor, and we'd let our customers shoot a roll of film and process it for free to try out a lens. Since we have digital bodies, there really is no stopping you from finding one in a store and playing with it!

Thread Information