ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

So, anyone play with Infrared yet?

I want to start experimenting with it - I have my digital and love that, but I really want to use my SLR for infrared. My problem? I don't know of a lot of places around me that develops infrared film. Last place I went to buy it didn't have it in the fridge (which isn't good) so I refused to buy it from them. I have a friend of a friend who does it, but she develops her own stuff.

So, anyone here use infrared?
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

misanthrope
    Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    I want to start experimenting with it - I have my digital and love that, but I really want to use my SLR for infrared. My problem? I don't know of a lot of places around me that develops infrared film. Last place I went to buy it didn't have it in the fridge (which isn't good) so I refused to buy it from them. I have a friend of a friend who does it, but she develops her own stuff.

Do you want to use color or b&w? I've shot a few rolls of b&w, the Kodak HIE. It was part of a b&w experimental photography course I took at my local community college. Most people, including the instructor, said it was a nightmare to work with and that I was wasting my time, and that my camera would fog the film, etc. Turns out my camera does not fog IR film. You may want to investigate this first. What I've learned is that certain Canon EOS cameras use a little IR diode to count film sprocket holes, while others use a little gear. These two things are for counting frames. The diode will fog IR film, they say, so you should not use that type of film with the camera.
    I shot 4 rolls of HIE, and it was not hard at all. Load and unload film in total darkness- this means a changing bag or something similar. I used a heavy dark colored pillowcase and a lot of caution. Use a dark red filter. There was no DX code, so I had to set my ISO according to how I planned to develop it- I used 200. Also, you are supposed to adjust focus slightly to compensate for the different wavelength of light. I've heard you don't necesarily have to do this, but I did it anyway just to be sure. I also shot them all fully closed, so the small focus difference might not have been so effective.
    The negs looked pretty cool, my favorites being ones with moving water and a cemetary.
    I'm definitely not an expert, so if anyone else has better information, please help me out here.
    For a really helpful look at IR photography, try going to the PhotoNotes website. He has a great page on the subject: http://photonotes.org/articles/ir-myths/
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Thank you! I checked out that site, it's got some great resources! Thanks! I do need to get a filter for my rebel (I have the EOS Rebel G), so that will be my next step. And by habit, i've always changed my film in the dark, don't know why, just always have! lol
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Check for a lab that will do it too - you shouldn't have to explain to them how it works (hint!). Standard B&W chemestry will develop Kodak's B&W infrared and probably others, but it has to be done by hand, and should be at a place you can trust. Don't open the plastic film canister until you're in a darkroom or the camera and film are inside a changing bag.

I've never done it but looked into it - once I get a little more experienced with processing I'll give it a try.

B/W Infrared

You will want to use the Kodak version. Set your meter @ 400, and meter and expose through a deep red (#29) filter. #25 will also do. I prefer the #29 though. Use a medium to small aperture, and away you go. The results are great. Bracket a stop over and one under, for the important shots. You also want to load and unload the camera in complete darkness. And, if you do this in your bathroom, don't drop the film into the Cat litter box.....(been there, done that)

Quietlightphoto
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, anyone play with Infrared yet?-kiron-klub-ir.jpg  

another B/W IR snap

Kodak B/W IR snap.

Quietlightphoto

Give me coffee, or give me death!

Re: So, anyone play with Infrared yet?

I................LOVE................INFRARED. This is a film in its own category. I have used Kodak HIE and got excellent results. The surreal feeling made by glowing white foilage and stones that really pop out set this film apart from others. I use a Canon A-1 with a #25 red filter over the lenses, ISO 200, f/8, shutter speed meter TTL. I found a guy online who machine cuts the aereographic IR film to 120 size and I have a roll ready as soon as my Pentax 645 is back from the shop. I do landscape work, trying to get shots that emphasize vegitation and blue sky, white stone monuments and shiny metals also make for good material. I recently came across Macophot IR film which comes in ALL formats, but not a lot of places sell it and I had to seek far and wide through cyberspace to get exposure and developement times. I'm also going to try a Hoya R72 filter which is nearly opaque for a more dramatic affect.

Rest in peace Konica 750.

If Kodak kills off this wonderful film they have no soul.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I'd suggest you look Here to buy it Janie..
    They have color and black and white in a few different sizes.
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Janie

Find the best pro-lab in your area. It'll be a little more expensive, but it's definitely worth it.

I shot this a few years ago, with HIE. I think I rated it at 400 with a dark red filter, but you might want to bracket a few stops either way. I've had good results with HIE rated as high as 1000. Kodak's webiste suggests setting your meter to 200. Don't bother. The first (and only) roll I shot at 200 was way over exposed.

EIR with a yellow filter. Color infrared is expensive as hell, but fun to work with, Also, it's slightly less sensitive than HIE. (They'll try to tell you otherwise)

Ilford SFX with a dark red filter. Semi-infrared. Maco is another brand you might want to try if you like the look of infrared without the trouble.

As far as cameras go, most EOS (and a few others, but I'm a canon girl) cameras do use the infrared sensor to move the film along. You cannot shoot IR film in your Rebel. I tried it, and it did fog into the image area. The semi-infrareds are fine, and I'd start there if I were you. (In fact, I did start there.) The older EOS cameras do not, so if you're already married to the system you might want to pick up a 620/630 body on the cheap. I paid less than $200 for my Canon 620. Of course, older manual cameras are readily available used and are another option.

Quote Originally Posted by kathyp
    I shot this a few years ago, with HIE. I think I rated it at 400 with a dark red filter, but you might want to bracket a few stops either way. I've had good results with HIE rated as high as 1000. Kodak's webiste suggests setting your meter to 200. Don't bother. The first (and only) roll I shot at 200 was way over exposed.

Sorry to be off topic, but that is a great shot with color IR!

i always wanted to play with it...
    but im not totally comfortable loading my camera without looking at it
    I even have trouble while looking at it!

Infrared vacation pics

A vacation photo from last year at Mt. Rushmore. Comments, suggestions? Had to do low res scan to make it fit the site regulations.

Canon A-1, Soligor 24-48mm, #25 red filter, Kodak HIE film

More to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, anyone play with Infrared yet?-rushmoreir.jpg  

More infrared vacation pics

This is a shot of a section of Yellowstone that burned in 2003. Shot in "04". It gives somewhat of a surreal feeling, like the dead trees are the spirits of what once grew there. Comments, suggestions?

Canon A-1, Soligor 24-48mm, #25 red filter, Kodak HIE film.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, anyone play with Infrared yet?-forestir.jpg  

Thread Information