ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Cheese! (Self Portrait)

Well, this was actually done with my nikon coolpix 4300 without flash , but using lighting and mirrors and a lot of shots with creativity lol

Kind of cool what I ended up with....

http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

cheese bw

This is in BW, which i think i might like better, it's also cropped differently

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

soft cheese

And here is one more, slightly different lighting which made the picture a little softer, although you can see my eye wrinkles more!

Member:

Cool Shots Janie!

[QUOTE=Janie]And here is one more, slightly different lighting which made the picture a little softer, although you can see my eye wrinkles more!

And it's always nice seeing what other members look like - being able to put a face with the name!

I really like the smile in the second and third shots. And I've seen that double image at the bottom - from the beveled edge of the mirror. Next time you may want to make sure your face is above the bevel (we don't want anything distorting that beautiful smile!)

Eye wrinkles? Where? Girl, I'VE got eye wrinkles. :-O
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheese! (Self Portrait)-self-portrait-05-r640.jpg  
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

As a happily married man (who's ugly and getting long in the tooth ;) ), I hope you don't think me inappropriate for pointing out that other photographers should be taking your picture too!

Anyway, I've had too much time on my hands, so here's my version (I like it the other way round)...

That dadburn beveled edge! lol

Yeah, I know, the stupid beveled edge - I tried readjusting the mirror and taking it a little higher but they just didn't look as good as these pics. Funny, I couldn't get to sleep last night so I started playing with this camera at 3 am, playing with my crazy lighting - didn't think it would turn out well but hey! Experimenting is good!

Here is one I was playing with a little too much:

Member:

The flip, eh?

so you like the flipped version? I was trying to figure out what you did! lol Then I noticed you just flipped it, right? And thank you, I did spend time in front of the camera, used to model for liz claiborne - now i'm on the other side, which I think a lot of models do after retiring!

How do you like this one, obvously I was really bored at this point and did a bit of a photoshop job to it, lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam North
    As a happily married man (who's ugly and getting long in the tooth ;) ), I hope you don't think me inappropriate for pointing out that other photographers should be taking your picture too!

Anyway, I've had too much time on my hands, so here's my version (I like it the other way round)...

Member:

Beautiful .... and so are the pictures.

Actually...

This one is my favorite of the bunch, which I find odd because I usually don't like images that are over processed!

You are a beauty Janie and I hope to see more of your smile on our boards!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

I call that one insomniac lol

Thank you for the compliment... that is the portrait of an insomniac - ever find that when you are over tired but can't sleep that is when you are at your most creative? It's funny, although I love print work, i'm starting to have a lot of fun with digital - I like most the fact that I can see my results immediately and remember exactly what I did with each shot, which also helps me in my endeavor to perfect my print work. I've learned a lot with photoshop as well, like adjusting the hue/saturation of each color - when working in darker atmospheres photos tend to have too much yellow or red and adjusting those levels in hue/saturation makes drastic improvements in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    This one is my favorite of the bunch, which I find odd because I usually don't like images that are over processed!

You are a beauty Janie and I hope to see more of your smile on our boards!
    ~Brian

Member:

O.k. It's official

I now resign my Self Portraitist title over to you ...you have officially posted more pictures of your self than I have (my all time personal record is I think 3 in a week)

Hi! welcome aboard ! Come join us in NY on the 24th the more the merrier(you're not too far).... and welcome to the forum.... I like the BW version ---your eyes are very striking in that one and I love the hair!;)

lookin forward to more of your stuff
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I like both the arty shots – just shows what you can do! It really works. In fact the 1st shot would make an eye-catching poster.

Yes, I flipped your shot and, for the record, adjusted the colour balance and contrast levels, cut you out, pasted you down and feathered you, shrank the background slightly and then blurred it, blurred the foreground camera and your hand, stuck you back in, lightened your eyes and teeth (dim lighting), made the image smaller, and finally sharpened it. Try it - not as wearisome or clever as it sounds!

It looks to me like you too will have a lot of fun with your software.

Not sleeping? Must be something in the air all over… I tossed and turned like I was jet lagged. But if you can’t sleep you know what to do and where to post it!
    "Digital is not 'better' than film — it is different. It is clearly much better at certain things and just as clearly worse at others" (Nick Rains, The Luminous Landscape).

Quote Originally Posted by Sam North
    I like both the arty shots – just shows what you can do! It really works. In fact the 1st shot would make an eye-catching poster.

Yes, I flipped your shot and, for the record, adjusted the colour balance and contrast levels, cut you out, pasted you down and feathered you, shrank the background slightly and then blurred it, blurred the foreground camera and your hand, stuck you back in, lightened your eyes and teeth (dim lighting), made the image smaller, and finally sharpened it. Try it - not as wearisome or clever as it sounds!

It looks to me like you too will have a lot of fun with your software.

Not sleeping? Must be something in the air all over… I tossed and turned like I was jet lagged. But if you can’t sleep you know what to do and where to post it!
    Wow! Well, that was a great job! When I looked at it more closely I did notice the background was blurred and things seemed darker and brighter, etc. So you're another insomniac worker, eh? lol Well, if you really want to play with a photo, here is one of my angel series shots that I haven't used (there is a big ship in the background that got in the way! lol Her hair is actually much more of a bright red than is in the photo, not sure why it came out so dark. Below this one is one of my nightmare shots using the same model, the I have cards and journals made from...

Member:

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    I now resign my Self Portraitist title over to you ...you have officially posted more pictures of your self than I have (my all time personal record is I think 3 in a week)

Hi! welcome aboard ! Come join us in NY on the 24th the more the merrier(you're not too far).... and welcome to the forum.... I like the BW version ---your eyes are very striking in that one and I love the hair!;)

lookin forward to more of your stuff
    Actually, i've been posting her for over a year now, but just haven't been around much lately because i've been so busy with real estate (my other profession).
    Thanks (about the hair)! My hair was black & ruby red before (that was my last avatar, the top of my head lol). I'm a bit of a hair chameleon, changing colors and styles often! lol Usually I take a picture of myself when I change colors so I can keep track! lol Look at my hair color archive:
    HTML Code:
    http://bizfx.com/janiesdos
    As far a NYC goes, i'll try to make it, not sure what's going on for saturday - I go hiking every saturday morning with a friend of mine and sometimes take out buyers at the last minute. What are the details? Are we bringing pictures or something? I saw something about that in an earlier thread about nyc.

Member:

Janie

And I was just off to bed too!

Well, for what it's worth, whacky camera angles work great in this sort of photography, but maybe not the sea. Personal thing. But hey! Great shot, lovely model. And those wings are spectacular.

The other shot is very atmospheric, and a great setting. Any message with the image, or did it just appeal to that way?

Happy shooting!

Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Digital is not 'better' than film — it is different. It is clearly much better at certain things and just as clearly worse at others" (Nick Rains, The Luminous Landscape).

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    Wow! Well, that was a great job! When I looked at it more closely I did notice the background was blurred and things seemed darker and brighter, etc. So you're another insomniac worker, eh? lol Well, if you really want to play with a photo, here is one of my angel series shots that I haven't used (there is a big ship in the background that got in the way! lol Her hair is actually much more of a bright red than is in the photo, not sure why it came out so dark. Below this one is one of my nightmare shots using the same model, the I have cards and journals made from...
    Janie,

The reason the hair came out so dark is because of contrast. The bright sun left little room between the shadow and the highlights. Plus, printing would compound the problem. A big diffusion screen would have helped, just some PVC piping and a 50 dollar diffusion fabric.

BTW, these are all really cool.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Janie,

The reason the hair came out so dark is because of contrast. The bright sun left little room between the shadow and the highlights. Plus, printing would compound the problem. A big diffusion screen would have helped, just some PVC piping and a 50 dollar diffusion fabric.

BTW, these are all really cool.
    Yeah, that would have been hard to pull off since it was just the two of us that day. I do a ton of shots at the beach, that's one of my favorite shooting spots. Sometimes the contrast works in my favor like in this one (different model and this was torture to get since we were both in the water fully clothed with my camera! lol):

Member:

Thread Information