Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

New Portrait - comments welcomed

This was taken with the Canon Rebel (digital). Main light at 45 degrees to models left, defusing panel on her right side, Vivitar 285 flash unit at 1/16 power above as a hairlight.

-Dave-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Portrait - comments welcomed-127_2713small.jpg  

Another portrait

This guy doesn't smile much. He was proud of his new jacket so I was looking for a pose that would represent that. Same set up as above with an additional light with snoot on the backdrop.

-Dave-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Portrait - comments welcomed-127_2728small.jpg  

Well Dave E.,

Body language is everything, look at his folder arms and stiffness. Of the two shots his is a better shot, lighting wise, although shadowing on the main side of his face (his left) is dark, should be the other way round I think, try putting some reflection on his right side to throw light there. Dark clothes make it a little harder on the lighting as well as they absorb light with little to no reflection as well.

Try taking the picture again, similar positioning and take the photo from about 1' above his head, so you are shooting slightly down on him, that way you won't get the obvious nasal holes showing up and will be a better photo to him. My daughter hates having the dark holes of the nose showing in her photos and she is 12. Also turn his head more to the traditional 3/4 view, unfold his arms so he isn't so stiff and talk to him during the shots to relax him. Unless you are looking for this type of shot.

With the girl, I assume maybe your daughter, use a reflector panel underneath to her right to reflect back into her from underneath to bringout the face and her right eye.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the comments. I have been toying around with different lighting configurations. Yes, this is my daughter who is always ready to pose.

As far as the nose on the boy, I really never thought about that until you mentioned it. Maybe you never considered it until your daughter mentioned it to you ;)

-Dave-

Thread Information