ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Can you simply enjoy it?

Hi. Matt here. First time poster, short time viewer.

Wondering can you simply step back from a photo and enjoy it? No analyzing or explaining why you like it, but just like it?

I know personaly after looking at many photos with a discerning eye, I will stop enjoying new photos and then just critique them. Same when working and looking for models for some projects. I have to remind myself to stop and enjoy it without thinking.

I often do, but I usually do it in private.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar
    I think your first reaction to any photo has to be in your gut (not your head). It takes little thought and lets you know whether you find the photo appealing or not. Analysis comes after the gut.

IMNSHO, I think that if you stop using your gut to decide whether you like a photo - OR - you can't stop to simply enjoy a photo without critique, then you've lost something special about looking at photos.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Always always

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6

Wondering can you simply step back from a photo and enjoy it? No analyzing or explaining why you like it, but just like it?

I know personaly after looking at many photos with a discerning eye, I will stop enjoying new photos and then just critique them. Same when working and looking for models for some projects. I have to remind myself to stop and enjoy it without thinking.

I always decide wether I like a particular photo first, and pick it apart second. Many of my favorite images are much less than what may be considered perfect.

As one becomes more proficient and knowledgeable, one must strive to keep in touch with the things that first intrigued him/her about the making of an image, and not just become a tool himself in the process thereof.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

What Andy said. If you can't connect with it then it doesn't mean much. Welcome.

[QUOTE=almo]I always decide wether I like a particular photo first, and pick it apart second. Many of my favorite images are much less than what may be considered perfect.

QUOTE]
    So true Almo, and don't forget that many paintings by kids are tremendously appealing and they have no idea what the rules are. I would hope that anyone that ever likes a photo of mine isn't liking it because it's technically correct. I hope it would make them feel, then think.
    Kit

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6

Andy (and others) have it right. When I first see a good shot I get a little rush of enjoyment from the unexpected pleasure. After I realize that I really like it, often because I've returned to it to look again, I like to get enven more enjoyment from it by trying to analyze just what gives it the strength it has.

It's like that when taking shots too. When first seeing something it's fun to take that first shot of it getting it just like it first moved you. Then it's even more fun to figure out why it grabbed you and maybe what else you can do to enhance the shot.

I think you can burn out. I find myself doing that at museums and take a break away from the artwork - maybe watching people or something - and then go back to looking at the art. After a while I find myself burned out for that day.

Interesting subject.

If I don't enjoy it, it's unlikely to be picked apart. I like to know WHY I enjoy it.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I Like It

As others have mentioned, I'll look at a photo and say just that. I'll just stare at it until I've had my fill.

If I don't like a photo, I'll look at it and not give it another thought.

A good example that comes to mind is Kelly's Piano shot. Although I didn't comment on it (maybe I did), I found I kept coming back to it because I really enjoyed looking at it. Quite simply it is a beautiful photo.

Quite simply it isn't the technical aspects that draw you to a particular photo. Your first instinct if you like it or not is what moves you and gets your attention.

I think Seb hit the nail on the head simply. If you like it you want to know why so then look further. I think we photographers do this more than most people because we want to know what makes people like photos so we can do it in ours.
    Kit

Thread Information