ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

When was the last time you said...

"Man, I wish I had my camera!!!"

For me, it was this morning...

I was almost to work and there was a great egret (SP) in the middle of a field trying to eat a gopher (or maybe a rat). Surrounding the GE, wantonly eyeing its breakfast, was a murder of crows at least 30 strong. The snow white bird contrasted nicely amongst the sea of black and the scene as a whole was pretty surreal.

Man, I wish I had my camera!

Now it's your turn...
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    "Man, I wish I had my camera!!!"

For me, it was this morning...

I was almost to work and there was a great egret (SP) in the middle of a field trying to eat a gopher (or maybe a rat). Surrounding the GE, wantonly eyeing its breakfast, was a murder of crows at least 30 strong. The snow white bird contrasted nicely amongst the sea of black and the scene as a whole was pretty surreal.

Man, I wish I had my camera!

Now it's your turn...
    ~Brian
    Maybe not the last time, but the worst time was when we went to SeaWorld and I only brought a fixed lens point and shoot APS camera and my daughter got picked to "star" in the dolphin show.

mjm
    that guy.
    Well, I just wish I had my _real_ camera. I saw these guys with "JESUS SAVES" signs. I thought it was pretty funny. I used my trusty camera phone.

just on Sunday

We didn't realize the kids had been working on a special presentation for church for Father's day and I ususally ahve my camera in the car these days and I happened to take it out the same morning... and missed my sweeties debut they were so cute (and clueless) on stage...hmpf sad!
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

TODAY

It's raining and there were some potential shots outside. I love how reflective everything gets when it's wet.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Storm Clouds last evening. Not sure my camera would have been up to the task.

About a week or so ago....

I was at work, and we were under a severe thunderstorm warning and tornado watch. A bunch of us were checking out the weather from out the window (yes, totally ignoring our jobs) and there it was, a funnel cloud. Not too close to freak us out or be in danger, but certainly close enough to get a shot of. It never did touch the ground but nevertheless it was very nicely shaped and impressive looking.
    To sum up....Man, I wish I had my camera!!
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

I'm usually never without a camera...usually the Contax G2 w/ 45mm lens is with me all of the time. There have too many times, though, that I was without the right camera, or right lens. or right film. Frustrating.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

I've learned to simply enjoy looking...

As almost all of my work now is planned and visualized ahead of time, I find there is little or nothing I see out in the "real world" that compels me to photograph it, except of course, maybe a location or building or natural scene that I want to come back and shoot later.

That is not to say that I don't marvel at scenes when I'm out and about. It happens almost everyday. I'm still wonderfully facinated by natural and manmade patterns, all types of people, weather, and just the play of light.

It's just that I've learned to appreciate the moment when I see something remarkable. I'm thankful just to be able to enjoy it, and don't regret not being able to record it. Still, I understand the repsonses so far. I used to beat myself up over missed picture opportunities all the time. It took me quite a while to get to this point...

Even so, I usually carry a p&s digicam with me, you know, just in case I run into aliens landing or maybe Elvis or something...

Good topic, Brian...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    don't regret not being able to record it.
    I agree with Steve. Sure, my first thought would probably be that I should be carrying a camera with me, but if I don't have one then there isn't much I can do about it. Just look. Enjoy the moment for what it is, and be glad that you see something in it worth photographing. Chances are most people probably won't see whatever it is you're looking at anyway, at least not in the same way.

Then go home and set the P&S by the door...

The last time was....

This spring, in my back yard when a Red Tail Hawk attempted to airlift our 15 pound cat up.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    SURE I HAVE....

How about leaving 3 CAMERAS in the car due to the heavy rain? I walked down a hill to a BOG ... only to find LINCOLN'S SPARROWS feeding young 2 feet from me!!!! THEN on my run BACK UP THE HILL...... a 3 toed woodpecker 10 feet away..... once at the car..... MOURNING WARBLER singing 15 feet away... CAR WAS LOCKED...........sssssssshhhhhhhhiiiiiii?????????? ????????? ;)

mind you.... I had never SEEN any of them before.... let alone take images of them.

It's only a 5 hour drive to return
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information