ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Back from Aloha State :)

Hi All,
    What an all too quick trip that was! We accomplished a lot in the short time that we were there. I didn't get too much on film. Flew in Thursday night, Beach on Friday, Wedding Saturday, Makaha on Sunday (family living there), flew home Sunday red eye... got in at 5:30 this morning.

Here are some pics I thought I'd share from this trip.These are from Friday and Saturday (pre wedding) bumming around Waikiki. The wedding was no photog, but I did get a few of the reception. Still scanning through all that.

Hope everyone is well....
    Cheers!

VillenaDeCorte
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back from Aloha State :)-local-guy-boardered.jpg   Back from Aloha State :)-loneboarder-small-framed.jpg   Back from Aloha State :)-two-boarders-small.jpg   Back from Aloha State :)-three-palms.jpg  
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

more Hawaii pics

Here are a couple more. My son and I at the beach in Waikiki, with Diamond Head behind us. The wedding reception- our bride is a true island girl, born and raised (my husbands family) and so the reception featured a true luau, with dancers representing Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, and Hawaii. The bride is a world-traveled Polynesian dancer and model- and so she gave us a little dance as well. (in lieu of the traditional "money dance" done at some weddings the whole family threw money at her while she did her hula!)
    One of the fire dancers, I couldn't get this guy on film well... but this one came out interesting.

Cheers,
    VillenaDeCorte
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back from Aloha State :)-sunset-reception.jpg   Back from Aloha State :)-bek-jade-diamond-head.jpg   Back from Aloha State :)-fire-dancer.jpg   Back from Aloha State :)-alaana-dance.jpg  
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

These are wonderful memories, and your all-too-brief stay, you seemed to capture the essence of the islands, with the palms, mountains, beaches, surfers(the silhouetted guy woith board on his head is my fav), and the dancing. Nice work, great looking family.

Thank you I wish I had more time, there is so much more to Hawaii than surfers and Palms though those are fun subjects to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    These are wonderful memories, and your all-too-brief stay, you seemed to capture the essence of the islands, with the palms, mountains, beaches, surfers(the silhouetted guy woith board on his head is my fav), and the dancing. Nice work, great looking family.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    Here are a couple more. My son and I at the beach in Waikiki, with Diamond Head behind us. The wedding reception- our bride is a true island girl, born and raised (my husbands family) and so the reception featured a true luau, with dancers representing Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, and Hawaii. The bride is a world-traveled Polynesian dancer and model- and so she gave us a little dance as well. (in lieu of the traditional "money dance" done at some weddings the whole family threw money at her while she did her hula!)
    One of the fire dancers, I couldn't get this guy on film well... but this one came out interesting.

Cheers,
    VillenaDeCorte
    Looks like you packed a lot into a little time. I like the palms included in the surfer shots, especially the one with the brown ocean. The fire dancer is spectacular.

Thanks Chunk!
    We sure did have to cram a lot in only 4 days. It was great though. I wish I could have gotten some pics when we were in Makaha, its a very hot humid, but dry part of the island mainly locals there. We had a post wedding party there before we went back to the airport (Sunday). The brides parents each had family there (the brides father is my hubbys Uncle). So it was such an exciting mixture of people, Fiji/Indian, Samoan, Tongan. His house is so neat, and surrounded by coconut trees, something called breadfruit (?) and the most exotic sounding birds I've ever heard. (Not to mention mosquitos and scorpions) The Makaha beach was two blocks from his house, and the sand was amazing. You could grab a handful and each grain was soft and interesting to look at. Too bad its bad luck to take sand from a beach, otherwise I would have. I can't wait to go back!

VD

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Looks like you packed a lot into a little time. I like the palms included in the surfer shots, especially the one with the brown ocean. The fire dancer is spectacular.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

I second that motion

of the guy with the surf board in BW...

you did a great job on the one of the bride dancing I bet you have all kinds of lovely images waiting to be sifted thru...

take care
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I really miss the Islands....

Great images!!!!

My wife and I went to Hawaii (Maui) for our honeymoon almost five years ago. And again the year after. Looking at your images really gave me the itch to go back.

I have never travelled to a place where I felt more welcome and more at home than Hawaii. Someday I will retire there.

Again thanks for stirring up some really great memories.

Aloha and Mahalo.

Thanks Nat and Max

Thanks Nat and Max! I already have the itch to go back
    Driving around when I got home, I couldnt help but think... Man, its ugly here! ;)
    (of course there is beauty in other things around here, but its such a contrast from such a beautiful Ocean and sky and Palm trees)

VD

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower
    Great images!!!!

My wife and I went to Hawaii (Maui) for our honeymoon almost five years ago. And again the year after. Looking at your images really gave me the itch to go back.

I have never travelled to a place where I felt more welcome and more at home than Hawaii. Someday I will retire there.

Again thanks for stirring up some really great memories.

Aloha and Mahalo.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    ok ok , we heard about the rest, but how come nobody commented on how great the image of you and your son is?

an image of mother/ child is a great image NO MATTER what the quality IMHO
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks, Paul. I have a couple better ones of me and the kids. That one was framed a tad poorly. ;) and its hazy. I was hoping for a direct shot in line with my height...so that Diamond Head would be directly behind me, not so far off in the distance.
    How've you been?

VD

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    ok ok , we heard about the rest, but how come nobody commented on how great the image of you and your son is?

an image of mother/ child is a great image NO MATTER what the quality IMHO
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

For PaulNJ

Some feathered locals for you
    I don't get why the guy wanted the bird to lay down like a baby... but whatever
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back from Aloha State :)-jaisen-birds.jpg  
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    AH, Your son is holding a BLUE AND GOLD MACAW

The guy has a SCARLET MACAW

Your husband? is holding? a GREATER SULPHER-CRESTED COCKATOO and somebody has a PUG puppy

putting them on their back is mostlikely just a STUPID trick which is easy to teach them and very easy to handle. Parrots (as do most birds) have very strong / sharp toes, ouchy on the arm ;)

I AM THE SAME(crazy, witty, tired.......), but I shaved in the last 2 days
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Paul
    Yes, those are my sons (two of three) and my husband (hmm does that count as another kid?! ;) )
    I think the Pug belonged to Bird Man as well.
    I love Macaws, the ones in the Zoo crack me up, they are so loud. They freak out the kids.
    They ask "Why are they yelling?!" I always say, because they're locked up.

You've shaved?! Alert the press. Let's see that baby face!

VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    AH, Your son is holding a BLUE AND GOLD MACAW

The guy has a SCARLET MACAW

Your husband? is holding? a GREATER SULPHER-CRESTED COCKATOO and somebody has a PUG puppy

putting them on their back is mostlikely just a STUPID trick which is easy to teach them and very easy to handle. Parrots (as do most birds) have very strong / sharp toes, ouchy on the arm ;)

I AM THE SAME(crazy, witty, tired.......), but I shaved in the last 2 days
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Thread Information