ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would love to see a Film Forum and would contribute regularly!

16 53.33%
  • Film is cool and all but, I don't think there is a real need for a Film Forum

11 36.67%
  • Film is dead, get out of the Stone Age!

3 10.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?

I think after this discussion is done we should have official PR.com debate team t-shirts made
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Well now you're just reaffirming my point. Digital-oriented does not mean digital-exclusive, it only means digital-oriented.
    Whatever..

I think we have nearly exhausted this topic.
    I strongly feel, that in the spirt of change ( deleting a few of the lesser active forums) and as a way to increase membership, that we should have a film forum.

I may not have presented my side all that well, but ladies and gentelmen of the forum I rest.
    Besides, the people have shown that an interest in a film forum is welcomed, 13-12!

Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

My head hurts. Here's my view on bottom-lining where we're at:

PRO: Might attract new users who are interested in photography, but not digital. Might attract interest in film with existing users. Might become a great resource.

CON: Might not. No changes or improvements to film based products. Could have very little traffic after it's been around awhile.

If you couldn't tell by the "cat food" comment, I think I've said all I can really say on this...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    My head hurts. ...
    Mine too...LOL I didn't think this would be so exhausting

Basically either side of this could be argued ad nauseum. There's obviously interest in, and a passion for, film amongst some members here. We'll just have to see if PJ is willing to take a chance on whether or not a new forum will be a good thing for the site.
    Last edited by Xia_Ke; 11-01-2007 at 03:15 PM.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Mine too...LOL I didn't think this would be so exhausting

Basically either side of this could be argued ad nauseum. There's is obviously interest in film so we'll just have to see if PJ is willing to take a chance on whether or not a new forum will be a good thing for the site.
    I agree but also think that light traffic in a forum is ok. It's more likely that the question will be answered and seen by many because it will be a the top of the list.
    Is there a deadline on the thread? When will the thread be closed for a vote tally?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I never set a close date for the poll, so I guess it will go til a mod closes the thread.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Part of what makes film increasingly obscure is the fact that no one talks about it because they think no one is interested.
    Having a forum by the name of "Film" would make it pretty clear that we're interested.

Paul

I never set a close date for the poll, so I guess it will go til a mod closes the thread.
    Bwahhahahaha... :devil:

Have you ever tried to spell an evil laugh? I haven't. But that's what it's supposed to be. BTW, we really don't close threads around here unless something gets out of control (maybe happened once or twice in several years, literally - y'all are good folks). I do think we've taken this just about as far as it can go so I'd be interested in hearing John's perspective.

The Boss Weighs In

Aaron brought this idea to me before he posted and I encouraged him to explore it. I think there's actually an increased interest in film right now. My biggest concern is whether we can support a dedicated film forum. I certainly like the idea. In my mind, it's not about sharing photos so much as sharing techniques. Film, especially black-and-white, involves some very special techniques that don't necessarily get explored or shared here. Specifically, I'm thinking of black-and-white film processing and printing techniques. I'd love to see this stuff get discussed in detail here. As for whether there's enough interest - I think if we create a forum and those of you who are passionate about film support it, we're likely to bring in new users because of that forum.

So I think we should do it. As long as Aaron is willing to take on the moderator responsibility and the rest of you agree to use the new forum, support him, and spread the word outside this site so we can bring in more expertise and passion.

So what do you say?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'll do what I can John to try and help it along. I don't mind being a mod, though would feel a little more comfortable if someone with a little more film experience would be a co-mod with me. Maybe Megan or Brian or? That is if they're interested. Just let me know what I can do to help out and I'll help out in any way I can
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Maybe Megan or Brian or? That is if they're interested. Just let me know what I can do to help out and I'll help out in any way I can
    I did say I would, as did Megan, but you'll have to ask her personally.
    When and how do we begin this then?
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

I don't mind being a mod, though would feel a little more comfortable if someone with a little more film experience would be a co-mod with me. Maybe Megan or Brian or? That is if they're interested. Just let me know what I can do to help out and I'll help out in any way I can
    Experience isn't nearly as important as passion. I don't know everything. But I can always find someone else who knows something. But I'm fine with a co-moderator.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Congrats to everyone.I hope it adds much to an already awesome site, the best IMO.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Experience isn't nearly as important as passion. I don't know everything. But I can always find someone else who knows something. But I'm fine with a co-moderator.
    Well said!
    And Aaron certainly has that.
    If Megan is up for it, I know we'd have a great team!
    I have her email Aaron, email me and we'll get something going. If that's OK with you John?
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

The passion I definitely have! I have about a million thread topics swirling already in my head of things I want to learn. I don't necessarily need a co-mod. Just want to make sure there will be someone else around to help answer questions to the things I don't know. That's my only concern about the new forum.

Like Brian said, let us know what you need from us to get the ball rolling
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

It's Alive!!!

Congratulations, Aaron! Thank you and John. I think this is going to be great. :thumbsup: I'll do my part to keep the forum active.

Paul

For those of you that were against this forum as you were worried about the impact it will have, please rest assured I want this to be a positive thing. I want it to be a positive for the whole board, not just for film users. I will do my best to keep the forum on the topic of analog photography and not just a place to post film pictures. If anyone has any questions/comments/concerns at any point, please do not hesitate to pm me.

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Well it looks like a decision has been made. Leave it to me to chime in late but here were my thoughts:

1. Until we get a lot of new film members fast, or convert digital ones to film ones, or change lurkers into posters, the main cheerleaders here (Aaron, Brian, and Megan) will have your hands full keeping the topics fresh and adding new threads to keep viewers coming back. I hope you're up to it
    2. I think the people who would contribute to a film forum would be those who currently have and are using a darkroom. And the number of people committed enough to have a darkroom (even a makeshift one) in this "day and age" is becoming increasingly rare IMHO.

Being a total digital convert after doing the entire darkroom developing/printing thing, I can't imagine being active at all there. Not because I wouldn't want to, but because I simply forget the technical aspects like a bad memory. As for the artistic aspects of film developing/printing, I suppose I could chime in on that - but I wouldn't be able to contribute with actual examples and tests. I think images are what keep the forums going - not just a lot of talk - at least in a photography-related forum. So, again, you need a lot of working (in the sense of "producing" rather than income) film shooters.

But no one knows for sure so why not try. Good luck!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: The Boss Weighs In

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    So what do you say?
    Woo Hoo!

John's right - passion is more important than experience as a moderator. We're always here to help. You'll do a great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Well it looks like a decision has been made. Leave it to me to chime in late but here were my thoughts:

1. Until we get a lot of new film members fast, or convert digital ones to film ones, or change lurkers into posters, the main cheerleaders here (Aaron, Brian, and Megan) will have your hands full keeping the topics fresh and adding new threads to keep viewers coming back. I hope you're up to it
    2. I think the people who would contribute to a film forum would be those who currently have and are using a darkroom. And the number of people committed enough to have a darkroom (even a makeshift one) in this "day and age" is becoming increasingly rare IMHO.

Being a total digital convert after doing the entire darkroom developing/printing thing, I can't imagine being active at all there. Not because I wouldn't want to, but because I simply forget the technical aspects like a bad memory. As for the artistic aspects of film developing/printing, I suppose I could chime in on that - but I wouldn't be able to contribute with actual examples and tests. I think images are what keep the forums going - not just a lot of talk - at least in a photography-related forum. So, again, you need a lot of working (in the sense of "producing" rather than income) film shooters.

But no one knows for sure so why not try. Good luck!
    Loupey, thank you for chiming in, even if it is late. Better late than never right? You do raise some very valid points. You're right, our numbers are small here right now. A good part of our long term success for this forum is going to rely on getting new members. I will openly admit that I've barely scratched the surface of analog photography. There are a few of us here venturing into the film world now and a few that still shoot primarily or only film. I've seen talk from some members of starting to or planning on setting up darkrooms. There are a few of us very dedicated to learning and discussing different techniques. I can tell you from my quest in learning and checking out other boards that there are plenty of people deciding to try film for the first time or picking film back up now that the thrill of digital is wearing off for them. While we may not have a huge a depth of knowledge at the moment, with so much to learn from the few of us that do care about film photography, there can't help but be a fair bit of discussion for a while. Who knows, maybe we'll inspire some of the other members here to dust off their film cameras. This whole "quest" for a film forum is not at all about knocking digital photography. A good photograph is a good photograph no matter how it is captured. That being said, film is still a very relevant part of photography and personally I think the current set-up of PR has a large void where analog photography topics are concern. My hope is that this will inspire more discussion on the subject and be a benefit to the site as a whole.

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information