ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Another Newbie......

Hey all,

Just thought I would take a minute and say hello and introduce myself to everyone here. Although I have been lurking for some time, I am new to the boards and this is my first post. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to share with you guys......yet, however that leads me into my first question for ya'all.

I am getting ready to take a plunge into the Digital SLR world, and have pretty much decided on the Canon Digital Rebel. I have been doing a lot of looking, surfing, and researching as much as I can. So far, there are two online retailers that I am looking at purchasing from. I am hoping to get everyones opinion / experience on these retailers.

The first is Beach Camera (www.beachcamera.com) Seems like they have a good track record, and the prices are attractive. Has anyone had any experience with them?

The second is Buydig.com (www.buydig.com). Same as above, seems like a good service record with attractive prices.

Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I think this is an awesome board and I am looking forward to "meeting" everyone. Thanks again.

Ken
    Firemedic478

Re: Another Newbie......

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic478
    Hey all,

Just thought I would take a minute and say hello and introduce myself to everyone here. Although I have been lurking for some time, I am new to the boards and this is my first post. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to share with you guys......yet, however that leads me into my first question for ya'all.

I am getting ready to take a plunge into the Digital SLR world, and have pretty much decided on the Canon Digital Rebel. I have been doing a lot of looking, surfing, and researching as much as I can. So far, there are two online retailers that I am looking at purchasing from. I am hoping to get everyones opinion / experience on these retailers.

The first is Beach Camera (www.beachcamera.com) Seems like they have a good track record, and the prices are attractive. Has anyone had any experience with them?

The second is Buydig.com (www.buydig.com). Same as above, seems like a good service record with attractive prices.

Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I think this is an awesome board and I am looking forward to "meeting" everyone. Thanks again.

Ken
    Firemedic478
    I bought my Minolta Maxxum 7 from beachcamera.com. They were very nice, very helpful, very fast, and the camera was $200.00 less than anywhere else. I would buy from them again.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Welcome to the forum! I don't personally have experience with either of those places, but there is a Camera Dealer Feedback Forum here - maybe that's where you got some of your information. When you do purchase, click on the "Shop" link at the top of the page. If you buy it when linked to a store's site from here, this site gets a small referral fee - and it doesn't cost you anything. We'd appreciate it! ;)

I'm not sure if you're looking at grey market versions of the equipment, but if so there are things to consider especially with a digital camera. To be up front, I personally would stick with a USA version for at least the DSLR body. That buys you a USA warranty as well as access to firmware upgrades and tech support. I'm not sure if Canon is as strict about grey market equipment as Nikon is, but a DSLR is basically a computer - lots of potential problems.

Thanks Almo and Another View for the replys.

Another View: I was unaware of the grey market versions, if and when I finally decide to buy I will be cautious of this.

Thanks again........

Liz

Welcome!

Welcome to PR, Ken!

You picked the right place to come to get - and eventually give - all kinds of support, advice, encouragement, etc. on photography - and other topics!

You've picked a great camera. I have the Rebel and I absolutely love it. The prices have dropped considerably, so you will get a good deal.

I've purchased from Beach Camera and had a good experience. Also, you might want to try B&H. Here is a link to the Rebel on B&H. There's a $100 rebate! Also, you might consider the Canon 50mm/f1.8 lens. It's one nice lens, great, sharp pics and good in low light with the 1.8 aperture. It's about $65.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=297500&is=REG

Good luck and keep us updated!

Liz

Thread Information