ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

What kind of Heron?. . .Paulnj

This is a shot from about 7:00 AM at the Marine Park Nature Preserve. Not such a good shot, although i like the rock textures. I could not get closer than this to this bird. I spent so much time waiting for it to get "used" to me being there. It was fishing in the marsh water just below these rocks and as I inched up it finally flew up to the rocks. So I grabbed a shot for my efforts and left it be.
    It seems to have the markings of an American Bittern, but this bird was only about 8 inches to a foot from head to toe as seen here. Maybe a Least Bittern? Green heron?
    Still looks to me to have the markings of the American bittern, but a bit small for one.
    What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What  kind of Heron?. . .Paulnj-bird0804-170905xweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    WHAT DO I THINK?????

You mean.... Paul what do you KNOW it is ;)

JUVENILE GREEN HERON ID 'd from first summer by the dots on the trailng edge of the wing

LEAST BITTERN is VERY rare in nj/ny and NEVER will be this dark. the CORY's RACE of LEAST BITTERN shown in some books was last seen in the 1960's!!!!!!!!!!!

American bittern is 3x the height of a least and 2x the height of a green heron(which is more like 1.5 feet long and YES about a foot when crouching)

AMERICAN BITTERN YOU SAID????

I will post one for YOU and PENNY since she COMPLAINED I haven't posted an image lately ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for your clearing it up for me.(AMERICAN BITTERN YOU SAID????)
    No, just said it seemed to have similiar markings and coloring , But I knew it was way too small. It is real tough to get close to these birds, at least here where i usually look for them. This was taken with a 500mm zoom. Would not let me get much closer.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information