ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

9 -11 Can it be three years already?

I was just taking a moment today to think about the World Trade Center attack, and what progress we've made, if any, on the was against terrorism.

It's hard to believe it's already been three years since it happened. I can still remember being glued to the tv set for days, in utter disbelief. Also sitting out in the rain in my yard, staring ahead in a kind of daze, just trying to make some sense of what happened.

If anyone in NYC (or anywhere, for that matter) attends memorial services, I'd be interested in seeing some shots...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I remember like it was yesterday...

as I'm sure most peole do. That day at work I had just got a new PC and I was finally able to listen to the radio via the internet. My old PC didn't have a speaker/headphones jack on it. I listened to the radio in disbeliefe all day. Most of the people I worked with left early because there wasn't much to do since everything just seemed to stop. I stayed with my ears glued to my headphones because I didn't want to miss anything.... Well, I'm sure we could all go on and on about that day...

Anyway, back to the point about this thread, memorial services. I haven't heard anything about any planned memorial services in my area, but the local chapters of the American Legion and VFW started the "Avenue of Flags" a few years ago. They take casket sized flags 5'x8' I think, and hang them at the local cemetaries. One for each veteran who is burried there. My parents are both members of the VFW and Auxiliary, so they help to but up the flags. I inturn, help them out whenever I can. So last night, we put up about 180 flags at the local cemetaries as the sun was going down. I didn't have my camera with me at the time so I'm hoping to be around tonight to get some nice pictures of all the flags with a nice sunset in the background to share with everyone.

Great thread Steve!
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    I was just taking a moment today to think about the World Trade Center attack, and what progress we've made, if any, on the was against terrorism.

It's hard to believe it's already been three years since it happened. I can still remember being glued to the tv set for days, in utter disbelief. Also sitting out in the rain in my yard, staring ahead in a kind of daze, just trying to make some sense of what happened.

If anyone in NYC (or anywhere, for that matter) attends memorial services, I'd be interested in seeing some shots...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I was downtown Chicago for a trade show. Our hotel was on Michigan Avenue. My roommate had the Early Show on that morning (I don't generally watch morning tv), so I saw it all play out from the beginning. At first we continued getting ready for the show, but as target after target was being hit, we felt in serious danger as a possible target city.

The attacks seemed to stop, but our "fight or flight" adrenaline stayed high with uncertainty. Some of our group continued on to the trade show but I couldn't pull away from the tv, and pretty much realized that there'd be little to no business going on that day. I kept expecting the next attack any moment, and that feeling stayed with me for days, weeks, months. I think it took me about 6 months before I quit turning on the tv every day fully expecting all programming to be off the air to accommodate Breaking News.

I'm not tuned in to any memorial services, but my husband is flying today so of course the event is on our minds. We're not worried, just mindful of the events three years ago.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I'm going to post some tonight - going via boat to see the tribute in lights. We also have a memorial on our beach - i'm in Middletown where we lost many, many poeple.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

It is increadible that it is now 3 years and it was one of the most horrific things I have ever seen in my life time, even pictures of WWII, Vietnam War, train wrecks here in Australia, Bali Bombings and now we have the horiffic attack on the Australian Embasy in Jakata 3 days ago, they showed the actual bomb blast on TV here for the first time last night, which brings the actual event to a whole new level of voyarisim TV.

Having been a person that has looked after and cared for many people over many years as a Nurse, Theatre Nurse, Manager/Supervisor, I still can't believe how human beings can inflict such pain and suffering on people, especially those they don't even know.

I think the events recently in Jakata and in Russia are starting other Muslim's of the world's to wonder about the so called fellow religous Muslims that are causing all this Death, Pain and Suffering. It was interesting to hear one of the Muslim leaders here saying, "That their faith teaches that Life is paramount in their religion", but doesn't seem to be followed by these militant groups.

I just wish people generally would get into Harmony with others, stop all this unneccessary death and destruction and learn to live with others, no matter what their colour, race, religion etc is.

Imagine what could have been done with the Money that has been used fighting all this death and destruction, the rebuilding needed to get essential services back to countries devastated by war and terrorism.

I hope everyone remains safe, happy and well.

I think we've all been touched by 911 in many ways. The first thing that hit me was I know some people who worked in the trade center. I found out the next day that they had survived. They were a couple of the fortunate few. The next thing put me in a panic was, one of the Consumer Review guys I worked for at the time's wife and new baby were due to come home from Boston to LA. I wasn't sure if they were coming home on the 10th or 11th. Needless to say, I called their home, Thankfully she had indeed taken the flight on the 10th. After the relief, came the eerie feeling that the plane she and baby were on is one of the planes that crashed into the Trade Center 24 hours later.
    I don't think any of us will ever forget for a lot reasons.

Thank you for posting the Memorial Steve.

As to any progress on the war on terrorism, I have very mixed feelings.
    Lara

They will never be forgotten.
    Last edited by Elysian; 09-12-2004 at 07:35 AM.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Sunset Memorial

As promised below, I went out and took some shots of our local memorial as the sun was going down. It's pretty hard to capture everything since there are so many flags spread out over 3 cemetaries. I didn't have much time to play with the images so here they are fresh off of my camera.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9 -11  Can it be three years already?-flag1.jpg   9 -11  Can it be three years already?-flag4.jpg   9 -11  Can it be three years already?-flag3.jpg   9 -11  Can it be three years already?-flag2.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I remember it everyday....

I didn't attend any memorial services. There's just too much that I don't really want coming to the surface. Came out of the bathroom and Reg had the reading of the names on tv, and I changed the channel. Too painful. We did watch an interesting show on the rise and fall of the WTC on the History Channel - that was my memorial. I remembered, just at home today.

I walk down Vesey Street every day going to work. I see the gaping whole that is Ground Zero every day when I go to and from work. I can't help to look - nor stop myself from remembering some aspect of that day that is burned into my brain forever. I smelled burning tires yesterday and had a flashback. So I guess I try to protect myself from it all, rather than exposing myself once again to the horror. Keep it inside, because you can't go around screaming every day.

I've sort of neglected my 9/11 page - but it is still up. I'll re-link some of the photos that don't show anymore. The 9/11 photos are still visible. http://home.earthlink.net/~mgreenny

Megan

Thread Information