Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Crystal Clear

1:1 Macro lens with a 2x tele converter???

Hey all, thanks for looking!

I have a phoenix 100mm macro lens with a 1:3.5 but 1:1 with my macro adapter. I was wondering, if I were to connect to my ultra auto tele converter X2 would it improve, destroy or do anything at all to the quality/closeness/sharpness of my macro photos?

Thanks in advanced

Lens and teleconverter

Teleconverters and close-up diopters vary greatly in how they perform on different lenses. I use a Kenko 2x teleconverter on my Nikkor 60mm macro lens with excellent results for flash macro photography.

In my opinion, if you need to get to 2x magnification, and want reasonable working distances, a teleconverter is the only way to go. I typically use a 2x tc to get to 2x magnification and a close-up diopter to get to 3x.

I don't know how this would work on your Phoenix lens, but you'll probably be alright. I don't know what the max aperture of your lens is. Potentially, a dim view finder due to light loss from a combination of extension and the TC could be a problem. That's why I rarely stack teleconverters when shooting macros.

--Jeff

Thread Information