ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

100-400 L IS is here.....

So far, I can't find anything I don't like. In fact, I love it. This thing is incredible. Not much else to say yet until I take it out... I am doing the Clear Lake wildlife refuge at 5am tomorrow, and probably Fish Springs wildlife refuge, both here in Utah. I'll probably use that lens exclusively most of the day.

The push/pull zoom doesn't bother me at all. And, this isn't hardly heavy at all either, I can handhold it easily, especially with the IS activated.

I am fired up, this is gonna be a fun lens. It's just so lonely without it's wife, the 70-200....
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    Congrats Sean!

I LOVE that new toy feeling.

Keep us informed about this lens. Post some photos sometime!

I too have been thinking about getting the 100-400 IS. But lately, I've been leaning towards the 70-200 F4. I really pay attention to the reviews here, and it has a near perfect score! It would be nice to have both!

Kathy

Took the lense out for about 2 hours... it's really pretty incredible. Picked up a Bogen tripod... the 3021 and a new Bogen panning ballhead, its a slick setup (until I can afford the Wimberly...).

I shot these 2 hours with the monopod though, worked fine. The Image Stabilization is a gift from Odin himself... I can't believe that it's real.

Here's a redwing blackbird, nothing special. I couldn't get the sun any better than direct sidelite... big WALL prevented me from getting any of these birds frontlit.

It's great, I can't wait to see what I find at the 2 refuges tomorrow. I will admit, 400mm is nice, but I could just use a teeeeeensy bit more... not gonna be doing any bird headshots with it, but I feel a 1.4 teleconverter in my future...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100-400 L IS is here.....-bird.jpg  

Oh, the jealousy.

Congratulations!

Yup-
    This lens is capable of some pretty good stuff. I found that mine has a "sweet area" between 325-365mm. Of course each lens varies a bit.
    the push-pull feature is pretty darned fast, once you get the hang of it. Dust is NO problem - a old wives tale.
    A couple of 20D's and some good glass
    My galleries www.pbase.com/jpferguson

I used it today at Fish Springs and did 262 shots, not a ton but some decent stuff.

I drove 506 miles so I am too tired to post them, but I will tomorrow.

i love the lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100-400 L IS is here.....-erikfishsprings1.jpg  

Thread Information