Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Mamiya Man

recommended film and processors?

I will be shooting a wedding for a friends next week and hope to not screw it up too bad. can anyone recommend film for shooting weddings? I normally like to use portra films usually the 160nc and I love the new 400uc but I have read great things from the fuji reala as well. I would like good grain and colors incase the bride and groom want to make enlargments. also where would a good place to process them and get proofs? any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Magoo

Fuji NPH 400

Nph 400

Quote Originally Posted by magoo
    I will be shooting a wedding for a friends next week and hope to not screw it up too bad. can anyone recommend film for shooting weddings? I normally like to use portra films usually the 160nc and I love the new 400uc but I have read great things from the fuji reala as well. I would like good grain and colors incase the bride and groom want to make enlargments. also where would a good place to process them and get proofs? any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Magoo
    Like Peter I would use Fuji NPH 400. The 400 ISO film speed is comfortable (DON'T UNDEREXPOSE IT) and its moderate saturation and contrast is kind to skin tones.

There's probably an equivalent in the Kodak Portra range (400nc?).

I would not use a 160ISO film unless the event was entirely outdoors under good light. Indoors with a 160ISO film you're either going to be short of light or if you use a flash you will have the effect that the subject is well-lit and the rest of the scene is a dimly-lit cavern. An 800ISO film is ideal in these circumstances but I don't find the colour is as good as on the 400ISO film.

I personally wouldn't use a high-saturation film like the 400uc or Reala for a wedding. If the situation is perfect then colours that pop are fine, but in a wedding you have to make do with the situation as you find it and I find that NPH 400 is the most versatile film for this case.

I get it processed in my local Fuji lab but as I live in France that's not much use to you.

Charles

I also agree with sticking with 400 speed film, make it easy on yourself. How big are you really going to make an enlargement, anyway? 400 will give you more options for exposure and make your flash batteries last longer (and quicker recycle time). Might want to do some available light too, like during the service - Portra 800 or higher speed B&W would be good to have too just in case.

If you're happy with your Portra results, then I'd stick to it, but would use NC instead. I'd hesitate to use a place I've never tried before for a wedding! I use a local place (Rockford) that specializes this in this market - they're expensive but worth it. Not sure if they do mail order but don't see why they couldn't - send me a PM if you want their name and ph#.

Red face Nph

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Like Peter I would use Fuji NPH 400. The 400 ISO film speed is comfortable (DON'T UNDEREXPOSE IT) and its moderate saturation and contrast is kind to skin tones.

There's probably an equivalent in the Kodak Portra range (400nc?).

I would not use a 160ISO film unless the event was entirely outdoors under good light. Indoors with a 160ISO film you're either going to be short of light or if you use a flash you will have the effect that the subject is well-lit and the rest of the scene is a dimly-lit cavern. An 800ISO film is ideal in these circumstances but I don't find the colour is as good as on the 400ISO film.

I personally wouldn't use a high-saturation film like the 400uc or Reala for a wedding. If the situation is perfect then colours that pop are fine, but in a wedding you have to make do with the situation as you find it and I find that NPH 400 is the most versatile film for this case.

I get it processed in my local Fuji lab but as I live in France that's not much use to you.

Charles

Hi I shoot weddings winter I use Fuji 800 March onwards NPH, take a 2x ND filter with you. Lab I use AM/PM digital at Oxon Nr Oxford, they are good and cheap.

Tushingham2

Thread Information