Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Velvia 100 different than 50?

Ok I just bought some of this and noticed its now ISO 100 and the guy at the store said ISO 50 has been discontinued. It doesnt look like it based on adorama and bh still carrying ISO 50. I'm fine with using Velvia 100 as long as its similar to Velvia 50. Anyone input on the difference between the two if there is any?

I haven't too much of it - but it does seem different. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but where Velvia 50 had so much green in it Velvia 100 has more even saturation (not necessarily better, depends on what you are looking for). Almost reminds me of a cross between Kodak E100VS and Velvia 50.

And my understanding is that Velvia (as in ISO50) is going to stick around... he says nervously...

Quote Originally Posted by mr.vegas
    Ok I just bought some of this and noticed its now ISO 100 and the guy at the store said ISO 50 has been discontinued. It doesnt look like it based on adorama and bh still carrying ISO 50. I'm fine with using Velvia 100 as long as its similar to Velvia 50. Anyone input on the difference between the two if there is any?
    Velvia 50 isn't been discontinued...don't worry. As for Velvia 100, it's more like Provia 100F. I personally don't like it, as it's colours seem a bit off. I think it's better to push Velvia to 100 than use Velvia 100.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.vegas

Well, besides the obvious, it's one stop faster, fuji claims it's lower grained. I agree with Another View about the slight color differences.

It's also a true 100 iso film. No more overexposeing by third- half shot.

But the biggie I found is in reciprocity failure, the new velvia doesn't have that color shift to green on long exposures.

I can't think of a reason for wanting to use the iso 50 anymore.

Mike

Thread Information