Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Question Studio lighting for amatuers?

I am a beginner in the whole studio scene and i would like to know what kind of lights i should buy that would be good for beginners, but good with a pro also? What kind of meter should i buy also, should i step up and buy a good minolta or stick with a cheapo for the start? I would just like some quick advice on this subject because I'm going to be doing some senior portraits here soon and i need to buy this stuff and i want the most for my money. I thought that someone on here could show me some examples or tell me about what they own and maybe it still be in my price range. I am a senior in high school and i am very interested in being a photographer for a living, but i would like to get the right stuff for my collection. Thanks anyone who replys.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Feel free to browse...

...the forum archives. What you're asking is very common topic, and one that advice has been given on many times over.

In fact, some of the most recent threads here have been about that very subject. I don't see how you could miss them... ;)

If you can't find enough info already here to at least get started, ask something more specific and we'll try to give some additional advice.

Welcome to the forum...

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Thabird689
    I am a beginner in the whole studio scene and i would like to know what kind of lights i should buy that would be good for beginners, but good with a pro also? What kind of meter should i buy also, should i step up and buy a good minolta or stick with a cheapo for the start? I would just like some quick advice on this subject because I'm going to be doing some senior portraits here soon and i need to buy this stuff and i want the most for my money. I thought that someone on here could show me some examples or tell me about what they own and maybe it still be in my price range. I am a senior in high school and i am very interested in being a photographer for a living, but i would like to get the right stuff for my collection. Thanks anyone who replys.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

How much are you looking to spend?

I always prefer to shoot in natural light outdoors or near a window indoors. But if you are going with studio lights consider a monolight vs. power pack.

Some good brands. Alien Bees, alot of the guys here use them. My favorites are the Speedotron Force 5/Force 10 monolights. Super strong, fast recycle times. Flash meter is the Sekonic L-358; is there any other brand out there? : )

Start with one light; more is not better. Reflectors; a couple foam core boards will do the trick.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information