Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

View Poll Results: What type of lighting do you prefer?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Natural Light

15 83.33%
  • Hot Lights - Tungsten

0 0%
  • Hot Lights - Quartz

1 5.56%
  • On camera flash

3 16.67%
  • Studio flash - system

2 11.11%
  • Studio flash - monolights

6 33.33%
  • Fluorescent light

0 0%
  • Candle light

1 5.56%
  • Bud Light

2 11.11%
  • Other

1 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

What type of lighting do you prefer?

Hey,

I've been wanting to try the POLL feature of the new format forum, plus it's been a little quiet here lately. C'mon, it's WINTER! Ain't there ANYBODY shooting stuff indoors???

Anyway, I decided to kill both birds with one stone (sorry Paul, not PC, I know ).

I'm curious what type of lighting our members like to use. I've made the poll so you can select more than one choice (but you can only vote once).

It's really not a big deal, but seeing how this is the studio lighting forum, you should probably select at least one artificial lighting type.

Have fun...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I should learn to read first

"I'm curious what type of lighting our members like to use. I've made the poll so you can select more than one choice (but you can only vote once)."

I only selected natural light but studio flashes are my next favorite. Natural because, it's cheap and so am I. No seriously though. Natural light can be flat, directional, soft, hard, warm, cold, bounced, focused but always beautiful.

Studio lights because I have more control and can play with it more.

Actually, one of my favorite looks is studio flash used outdoors. Maybe a third to half stop higher than ambient. Makes the subjects pop and has an almost surreal affect.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mixed light

I love to mix artificial light with natural light. I light to mix tungsten and flash, indoors. And I like to mix natural light with on or off-camera flash, outdoors. For real studio work I prefer to use tungsten hotlights.I like not worrying about whether my modeling lights match the flash, I since I shoot mostly still stuff in the studio, I don't need the speed of strobes. And outdoors I use my Canon 550EX either on-camera or with radio slaves. I'm thinking about buying a third radio slave or a peanut slave so that I can start using two off-camera flashes

Good poll,Steve. Is that enough detail for you?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Me too, and I WROTE the darn thing...

"only selected natural light but studio flashes are my next favorite. Natural because, it's cheap and so am I. No seriously though. Natural light can be flat, directional, soft, hard, warm, cold, bounced, focused but always beautiful..."

I voted and ONLY choose monolights. D'OH! I love and use daylight also. I mean, how can anyone not enjoy using daylight to some extent. Like John, the main focus of my work right now is with mixed light (natural/flash)...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    Studio flash outdoors... I will have to try that. *smile* I've used a simple camera flash outdoors, but never a studio light. I unfortunately do not have battery packs... but I do have at least 30 ft of bright green extension cords... (bright green... easier for people to see when they trip over them).... thanks for the idea.

Oh, and as for light, I prefer natural light... when i moved my studio lights out of my apartment and into a studio I had no use for the second room in my apartment... I thought sewing room, but I'm pretty bad at sewing... anyway, I had this window, with lots of natural light, so if I want to take a break from my work, I can always randomly do some practice shots with the natural light from my window. Oh, and the curtain on the window acts as a great diffuser... it's one of those frostie, yet clear shower curtains...

Bud Light of course

Although too much light (of any kind) can be a bad thing!

Natural light, indoors and out

I love the catchlights you get with windows. I would have voted for an artificial light, but I don't own any, so not sure which would be my favorite.

adina

As a certified control freak, I'm partial to strobes (monolights are what I own) used with various modifiers. However, I've never used a set of high end hot lights. Window light bores me.

Of course, outside I'm partial to natural light modified with a camera mounted flash used for fill and CL's. Occasionally I'll use a reflector.

I absolutely despise the look of an on camera flash used as the main lighting, though it can be a necessary evil.

Mike

All light is good

I used to enjoy studio lighting to the point of insanity, but now I am more and more leaning towards natural light. As a little hobby I try to shoot in the most inconvenient lighting situations with minimal set of accessories (ideally, camera only) and yet produce images that look like they were shot in the most controlled environment imaginable. I'll post some of my late pictures soon, or just look at www.shanidze.com/en

Thread Information