Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    mjm
    that guy.

Post Very basic home studio setup?

I am shooting photos for an upcoming clothing website. We will be using various models to showcase the clothing (tshirts, pants, hats, accessories, etc). The first shoot is going to take place in my home, we plan on doing the basic white or light grey background.

I want to get a professional result without investing too much into expensive lighting. I currently have a Canon 300D, Canon 550EX & Canon 420EX. I was thinking about purchasing another 420EX and possibly 1-2 very inexpensive fill lights. I don't _plan_ on shooting much 'studio' type of thing, so I dont want to invest too much into that type of lighting.

Any suggestions on what to look at? what to avoid? Specific lighting setups? Anything?

Thx.

You have all you need

The 550 and 420 are enough to get pretty good results. Both have a pretty high output.

Shoot the 420 off to the side into an umbrella or white foam core. Keep it pretty close to the model to get a soft even directional light. Then use the 550 as a fill light. Since the 550 can act as a master it can trigger the 420 as a slave. You can even reverse the head of the 550 on camera and shoot it into a foam core behind you to get a nice even fill.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information