Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

My flash is here

So far it is frustrating.

I'll post some photos soon......

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: My flash is here

What kind did you get? I just picked up two new books to try and steal ideas from. "Photographic Lighting Simplified" by Susan McCartney and "Lighting Techniques for Low Key Portrait Photography" by Norman Phillips. Both are from the photo how-to section at Borders. My students can't wait to start trying the different set-ups and posing for each other.

Good luck with the new toy. Try any book that looks cool and copy the set ups, maybe something will click.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

420ex

I suspect it will just take some getting used to. And some time to play with it. Perhaps later today. My youngest has a drs appt, if she doesn't get shots, perhaps she'll be in the mood. She really is a fickle child.

Re: 420ex

Adina,
    I used to hate using flash, but after several thousand attempts I found what works best for my setup. Of course digital helps speed up the learning process. I find that I keep the flash on almost all the time now even outside (it is so easy to adjust/bounce/soften, etc)! It will be interesting to see how you use your new light in the types of beautiful shots you post here!
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Curious...

Adina, not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but I've found that using an on-camera flash creatively one of the toughest things I've ever tried.

You do such great work with available light. Why are you about to torture yourself by trying to work with the flash?

Oh well, if you are determined to use the flash, make sure you start trying off-camera setups. I think you'll find those less frustrating and more creative and similar to your window light setups.

And if you want to use it for in and outdoor events on camera, the key is too not have the flash overpower the available light. IOW, set the aperture for flash and DoF, then use slower shutter speeds to bring up bg exposure for more of a balance.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thanks for the tips.

Steve, don't worry about dampering my enthusiam, I am finding that there is none. Which is why I am having such a hard time even using it. I've tested it, it works, but other than that....

I think it is because I am so partial to available light that I am not so excited about this. So why torture myself? Well, I shot a few weddings last summer, and really enjoyed it. So I agreed to a few more this summer. While I would prefer to use available light for all of it, I want to be prepared. While I don't anticipate needing it, I wanted to have it, and have time to work out the kinks a few months in advance, just in case.

I am thinking about torturing my newphes tomorrow, so I should have something to share....

adina

If you're shooting weddings you gotta have flash.
    You can't depend on the natural light being there when you need it. You can still do natural light shots when the circumstances allow it but for themost part you're going to need the flash.
    The newer flashes with there multitude of functions really provide the ability to make stunning wedding shots. Flash just adds that sparkle(read:catchlight) that brings an image to life. An image that otherwise may have been an abject failure.
    I whole-heartedly agree with Photo-John and the shutter-drag technique(shutter staying open after flash to let in ambient light in bg). Learn this technique and you will be happy with your flash shots.
    Good luck!
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Thread Information