Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Wireless Off camera flash

I would like to experiment with wireless off camera flash, and need help finding the right equipment. Right now I have a Nikon N90s with no flash. I would like to put a small flash on the camera and have a more powerful flash off camera on a stand or something. Eventually I plan to have 2 off camera flashes working with the one on the camera. I would like it to have auto exposure capability but can live with manual if that will save a lot of money. I would also like it to be digital friendly so when my dream of someone making a digital back for my N90s comes true, I use it with that. I would like to spend less than $100 for the on camera flash and around $150 for the off camera flash. I would also like to have the wireless control built into the flash like the Sunpack PZ-5000 I know Nikon makes flashes that will do this but they are very expensive and the Sunpack sounds like it only works if all the flashes being used are that same model and I really don't want that big of a flash on my camera. Any suggestions on make and models along with some links that give good descriptions of how they work would be great.

Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
    Gift Giving Made Easy

Re: Wireless Off camera flash

Nikon SB26 flashes are pretty reasonable used, within your budget in decent condition. Since they don't work with the latest digital TTL flash systems, they're bargains. In a lot of cases, the built-in optical slave will work really well. You could get two SB26's; one on the camera and one on a light stand - the flash on the camera will fire the other one. The one on the camera could really be anything, but it might be easier to get two of the same unit.

You could also get the flash off the camera and keep it in TTL by using an SC-17 remote cord. It's about 3' long and coiled. Use the SB26 remote in "A" auto mode; I don't think TTL is supported here.

This is technically wireless - but maybe not what you're thinking. Pocket Wizard radio slave systems work great but are expensive. I'm not familiar with the Sunpak. I wouldn't worry about the digital back for the N90, if that does happen then the TTL system in the camera would still be the same anyway.

Thread Information